Weather, crops and local endeavors
The thermometer registered 92 degrees in the shade June 25, 1909 in Warrensburgh. It was 98 degrees at Hill View (Diamond Point). The first of the huckleberries have arrived. Field strawberries are getting ripe, but they are not very plentiful. Crops are generally looking well. The new law says that if you shoot a robin pilfering your cherry tree, you will be fined $60. Summer boarders are starting to arrive at The Glen. The annual Lewisville (River St., Warrensburgh) neighborhood picnic was held July 1, 1909 at McGann's Point, up the river.
Jury mulls decision on tavern shooting spree
The second trial of Beecher Faber, the alleged murderer of Maude Ryan, was set to begin July 6, 1909 at the Lake George Court House. The first trial, on May 17, 1909, resulted in a disagreement of the jury. Counsel will base Faber's new defense upon insanity. It is believed that Edna Faber, the child wife of Faber, will take the stand in his defense.
The crime was committed Jan. 23, 1909 in the Fourth Ward Caf , a dive conducted by Jack Ryan on West St., Glens Falls. Maude Ryan, otherwise known as Maude Richardson Bump, the alleged wife of Jack Ryan, received bullet wounds which resulted in her death, while "Kip" Kelleher, who was in the saloon at the time, was shot in the back. He recovered from his injury. Five revolver shots were fired, two hit the Ryan woman, a third shot hit Kelleher and a fourth bounced off the metal tray that Ryan was carrying. It is believed that legal problems sparked the feud between Faber and Ryan.
For several weeks, Faber has been kept at the Lake George Jail in solitude which has had a bad effect upon him. Since the commitment of Tracy Pray, the boy burglar, Faber's melancholy moods have vanished. The two have become great chums and their time is spent either in rendering all the popular airs (songs) of the day or in playing with a sock which has been made into a ball.
(Note... On July 10, 1909 the jury returned a verdict of first-degree murder and the judge imposed the death penalty, Faber's electrocution to take place at Clinton Prison, Dannemora, in the week of August 8, 1909. The tears and wails of his aged father and mother, his brother and sister appeared to have little effect upon him and he appeared cheerful as he left the courtroom.)
Old veteran's painful loss
Charles Lamb, an old veteran, met with a painful accident while celebrating the Fourth of July between Chestertown and The Glen, where he was employed on a farm. He held a lighted cannon firecracker in his right hand. He is somewhat deaf and did not hear his friends when they warned him of the danger. The hand was torn and blown into an unshapely mass. The man suffered a great loss of blood before the wrist was corded. His hand was later amputated at Glens Falls Hospital.
High school welcomes new principal
The teachers of Warrensburgh High School and pupils of the academic department gave a farewell reception for the retiring principal, Prof. E.W. Benedict, at the school building (a grand stone building that was once on the north corner of Elm and Stewart Farrar streets,) Members of the board of education and many invited guests were present.
Prof. John B. Chilson, 33, of North Creek is to succeed Prof Benedict and he was selected from more than 30 applicants for the position. At North Creek, he had been principal for six years. A native of Ballston Spa, Chilson is married but has no children. (Note...Prof. Chilson lived in the Harry Reoux house, now standing at the corner of Main and Hackensack streets. Known as a zealous and dedicated worker, he served the Warrensburgh School for 13 years.)
New dam at paper mill
The facilities of the Schroon River Pulp and Paper Company are to be increased by the building of a new dam to replace the present log structure, which has about reached the limit of usefulness. The new dam will be of concrete and will have a 180-foot spillway. The foundation will be 20 feet wide with an apron extending down to the river from 20 to 40 feet. This wall of masonry will be built about 50 feet below the present dam to keep back the flow of water. A concrete flume 100 feet long will be built to furnish an artificial channel for the water that drives the mill's wheels.
Twenty-seven Italian workers have arrived on July 12, 1909 to start the work on the dam. (Note: The Schroon River Pulp and Paper Company was incorporated in 1892 on the Schroon River between Warrensburgh and Thurman and employed 50 men. At a later time it called Warrensburgh Board and Paper Company. The paper mill provided many good jobs for countless men over the years. Today the buildings are gone after they fell into disrepair and were torn down in the 1990s by order of the town board . The dam built in 1909 has since been replaced with a new modern version.)
Leland House upgraded
The Papoose, a trim and speedy pleasure yacht which has plied the waters of Lake George for a number of seasons and which is owned by Hon. Louis W. Emerson and his brother, Senator James A. Emerson of Warrensburgh, was hauled to the foot of Schroon Lake on June 26, 1909 and has now been added to the Leland House boat fleet. (Note: the Leland House, a three-story frame building, sitting on six acres of beautiful park land and with its massive 346- foot-long piazza overlooking the lake, was owned by the Emerson brothers for 21 years until it burned in 1914. The rates were $3 to $4 a day or $17.50 to $25 a week and the hotel capacity was 300 guests. A fleet of yachts, sail and rowboats plied the waters to delight the gaze of the wealthy rocking chair guests. W.G. Leland was the original owner and manager.)
The local workmen employed for the past six weeks painting the Leland House and cottages at Schroon Lake, came home to Warrensburgh Saturday and they began painting Senator Emerson's residence on Main St. (Note: the Emerson House Bed and Breakfast, now on the corner of Main and Emerson streets, was originally the home of Senator Emerson's father, Albert C. Emerson who settled in Warrensburgh in 1837. It is currently owned by Faithanne Buck).
The Wesleyan Methodists began a series of evangelistic meetings on July 1, 1909 in a tent on Horicon Ave., Warrensburgh. Various pastors of the locality will speak. Hague is to build a new school-house.
Horace Hack of Johnsburgh was overcome by the heat and is in critical condition. George H. Buyce Jr. of Thurman is suffering from blood poisoning which began with a sharp pain in his foot while he was working on the railroad at Gansevoort. He came home at once and placed himself under a physician's care.
Esau Baker has moved home to Garnet for haying. James Warren of East Thurman has received a present of a fine new river boat of which he feels justly proud.
T.J. Murphy of Wevertown is having a lot of pulpwood cut and peeled at The Glen. The work is under the supervision of William Holland. John Dunn is peeling pulp for C.F. Kenyon on the William Bates farm in Garnet.
Miss Elizabeth Van Dusen, eldest daughter of A.F. Van Dusen of Knowelhurst near Stony Creek) and Alfred Van Auken, also of that place, were married June 30, 1909 by Rev. Frank M. LaBar of Minerva, at the home of the bride.
Sad death of young boy
Harry Vanderwerker, the 14-year-old son of Otis Vanderwerker, who lives about a mile and a half from Riverside Station, died July 5, 1909 as a result of being accidentally shot through the abdomen.
Young Harry had started out to pick strawberries and took his 38-calibre rifle with him. He leaned it against a tree stump, so that he could climb over a fence, and in reaching for the gun, the trigger caught and the bullet was discharged into the boy's body. He called across a field to his mother for help and she and his father carried him on a cot to the farmhouse. The loss of blood was so great that the doctor, who was immediately called, could not save the boy's life and he lived only a few hours. The funeral was held in North Chester from the home.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.