After purchasing a four-ounce bottle of chloroform at a Glens Falls pharmacy "to chloroform a cat," as he said, Ernest Butler, 21, went to his home at 72 Bay Street, Glens Falls and locking the doors and windows, committed suicide by drinking the contents of the vial.
The body of the young man was discovered by Enos Brown, a neighbor who went to wake him the next morning to go to his job as a hostler and Brown gained entrance with a skeleton key. Butler left a note which said "Give brother what money I have to get him a birthday present. I could not help it, for I am getting bald-headed." Hiram Butler said his son was in perfect health and in cheerful spirits when he recently last saw him. It is suspected that the boy was deranged.