The new roadside marker honoring John Thurman and his industrial settlement, Elm Hill, is ready for installation on South Johnsburg Road in the hamlet of Johnsburg.
A dedication ceremony will be held Saturday, Sept. 13 at 2 p.m. at the historic site.
Johnsburg Historical Society has been the sponsor of this major undertaking in research, grant writing, site preparation, and contact with state, county and town dignitaries. Now JHS is sponsoring a party for the community to celebrate the successful completion of the year-long project.
On May 5, 1788 Thurman paid the impoverished State of New York 1400 pounds sterling for his 25,000 acre plot which became known as Elm Hill. He continued to add to his holdings, and eventually owned more than 100,000 acres in the Adirondacks, comprising most of Warren County and parts of Washington, Essex, Clinton and Montgomery counties.
The headquarters of his industrial complex was located at Elm Hill. A grist mill, sawmill, pot ashery, distillery and carding mill were among the successful operations there. From an historical perspective, Thurman’s major contribution to New York State history was the establishment in 1797 of the first calico printing mill in New York State, located at Elm Hill.
Funding for the blue and yellow sign was provided by a generous grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation in Syracuse. State, county and local officials have been invited to the dedication ceremony. Keynote speaker is author Glenn Pearsall. A to-scale rendition of all the foundations on the site is being developed by Pearsall and Adam Pearsall.
The public is cordially invited to this free event at the site on South Johnsburg Road, 1.4 miles south of the Route 8 intersection. Refreshments will be served. For more information, call 251-5788 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.