Stony Creek firefighters Maura McCann a(left) nd Bill Gloffke douse flames emanating from the home of William Bormann Monday March 19. The fire, started by a woodstove in the residence, resulted in a total loss, authorities said.
A residence at 16 John Hill Road was destroyed by fire the afternoon of Monday March 19, and the home’s owner, William H. Bormann, lost virtually all his belongings in the blaze, authorities said.
Stony Creek Fire Chief Stan Ross said the home’s woodstove is suspected as the origin of the fire.
Ross said that Bormann told firefighters he had walked down the road 100 yards or so to get his mail early afternoon Monday, and when he returned, he saw smoke coming out his front door.
Ross added that Bormann went in the home, found it full of thick smoke, then exited. Ross said he heard that Bormann used his Life Alert alarm to contact authorities.
Ross said about 10 Stony Creek firefighters arrived on the scene shortly after 1 p.m. to find Bormann’s home, a mobile home that was enlarged and enclosed with frame construction, fully engulfed in flames.
Firefighters from Warrensburg, Lake George and the Van R. Rhodes Fire Co. in Luzerne assisted the Stony Creek Volunteer Fire Co. personnel at the scene.
Firefighters drew water from a nearby stream about a quarter-mile away and shuttled it to the fire site via tanker trucks.
Firefighters worked for six hours to extinguish the blaze.
Ross said that Bormann apparently lost a cat in the fire — the creature was believed to be sleeping under the bed during the blaze, and it has not been seen since.
Firefighters were called back to the scene the following day to quell a flare-up.
Efforts to contact Bormann as of March 20 were not successful.
A similar fire, also blamed on a woodstove, occurred in Thurman about two weeks ago on Drexel Road. The last house fire in Stony Creek was a January chimney fire in a log cabin on Lens Lake Road. Although the fire had spread into the walls of the home, firefighters saved the structure.
Ross said he believed Bormann was temporarily staying with his sister, either in Lake Luzerne or Corinth.
“Mr. Bormann lost everything he owned in the fire except the shirt on his back,” he said.