Peter Fairweather and Tim Weidemann present findings during the Keeseville Dissolution Committee public hearing May 23.
The Keeseville dissolution committee is moving forward after going over the draft resolution study during its June 28 meeting.
Tim Weidmann of Rondout Consulting told the members of the committee that he and Peter Fairweather of Fairweather Consulting had begun the process of preparing a preliminary dissolution plan, which was the next step in the process.
“This is the document that spells out and identifies the legal guide if the village were to put the dissolution matter up to a vote,” Weidmann said. “It is going to take some tough back and forth and discussion for the committee to come up with how they want it to read. This is going to go through lots of drafts.”
Weidmann said that the committee will next meet on Wednesday, July 25 at 5 p.m. at the Keeseville village offices to continue to study the plan before meeting in August both as a committee and to hold a public hearing.
“In August we are scheduled to have another public meeting where we are most likely going to present the draft plan to the public for their feedback,” Weidmann said. “In the July meeting we will come to you with a draft dissolution plan that is as close to the mark as we feel the committee wants to be with the plan.”
The group tentatively scheduled the August meetings for Wednesday, Aug. 22 (committee meeting at 5 p.m., public meeting at 7 p.m. at the Keeseville Firehouse).
Members of the committee asked what the next steps would be in the process, including if the proposition would go to voters by November if it was approved by the village.
“My concern is the presidential election,” village trustee Mary King said. “I think that it is going to be a hot ticket and I do not think that should be held then.”
Mayor Dale Holderman said that he did not think there would be a village decision made on the matter before then.
“The next board meeting after the plan is finalized would be the second week in October and I am not going to them and saying that we need to have a decision tonight,” Holderman said. “I want them to take some time to look at this, so you are looking at the second week in November before there may be a decision.”
“Once the board acts to put that to a vote, then there is a timeline that the state has said you have to follow,” Weidmann said. “A November vote is not likely to happen. As we get to September, we will look at a more formal timeline as to when the next steps will take place.”