This is all that remains of the Olmstedville cabin that was destroyed by fire on July 4.
A home was destroyed by fire in the early morning hours of July 4 while the owners were away camping.
Around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, July 4, emergency personnel responded to the home of Corky and Penny Goodspeed on 1284 County Route 28 in the hamlet of Olmstedville.
A person driving by the house had seen the home engulfed in flames and reported the fire at a neighbor’s home, according to Minerva Volunteer Fire Department Chief Kerry Killon. By the time firefighters arrived, the flames were reaching the top of the spruce trees that surrounded the two-story log cabin.
Emergency personnel from Pottersville and North Creek also responded to the fire shortly after Minerva volunteers arrived on the scene. It took about more than two hours and 40 emergency personnel to extinguish the blaze.
Killon said the fire was classified as an electrical fire caused by an overloaded surge protector. The fire began on the first floor and spread through the roof. The home is considered a total loss, he said.
State Police contacted the Goodspeeds’ daughter, Amber, and son-in-law, Fabiann Conlon, when the homeowners could not be reached by 6 a.m.
Fabiann said they went to the where the Goodspeeds were camping in Bakers Mills and told them that the home they had built by hand was razed by a fire.
“They were both upset when we told them, but when they saw the house you could see how devastated they were, seeing everything they had gone,” Fabiann said.
The Goodspeeds are currently staying in a camper on their property loaned to them by a family friend.
Fabiann said the couple began building their cabin in the woods in 1979, cutting trees and pulling them to the site by themselves. As their family expanded to include their daughter, they built on to the house.
It was unclear at press time if the couple had insurance to cover the fire damage.
There were no injuries.