LEWIS-The following is a summary of the activities of the Essex County Sheriff's Office for the past month. In March:
• $140,578.82 in revenue has been generated by the jail, bringing the year-to-date total to $374,884.18.
• The average number of inmates in the jail was 83.81, with a high of 89 and a low of 75. The Federal inmate count average was 41.16, with a high of 44 and a low of 38.
• The average number of other county inmate boarders was 5.84, with a high of seven and a low of five.
• There were 39 inmate transports which totaled 2,570 miles. 548 of these miles were reimbursed (U.S. Marshall transports).
• There were 26 arrests, 29 tickets issued, three accidents investigated, and 18 civil documents served.
• The Sheriff's Office handled $81,945.25 in civil monies, yielding $5,539.93 in revenue.
• Of special note, three former inmates recently passed their GED.This is a tribute to Dave Johnston and the exceptional program that he runs in the facility.