Area farmers, loggers welcome Springtime
The sleighing is about whipped in the North Country. The ice is mostly gone and the boys are talking about drawing logs on the river. Farmers hereabouts are already thinking about planting their corn. Many believe that it is best to plant corn in the light of the full moon. Postmaster Robert Murray is distributing free government garden seeds at the Warrensburgh Post Office.
Louis Wood and Ben Bryne of Igerna are drawing logs to Olmstedville. Will Coulter lost a valuable cow in Garnet. Clayton L. Pasco, of North Thurman, sold his store and stock of goods to Sanford Kenyon of Spire Falls, who will take possession May 1, 1909. (Note...later known as the "Kenyontown Trading Post," the building burned December 31, 1977.)
Popular citizen tending to ill, dies unexpectedly
John Walsh, 58, expired after administering to the wants of a sick neighbor on April 5, 1909. A prominent resident of Athol, he was overtaken by a fatal illness and death followed the next day in the early morning hours.
John had volunteered to sit up with Henry Combs, an aged Thurmanite who had been ill for some weeks. At about 3 a.m. Combs noticed that his robust friend was in distress and was trying to lace his shoes so that he might go out of doors to get some fresh air. Suddenly John pitched forward to the floor, never to rise again. Aid was summoned and he was lifted on to the sofa where he expired about 7 a.m. Death was due to hemorrhage of the brain.
The deceased was a man who formed lasting friendships. He was a bachelor and lived on what is known as the Horace Frost place. His father, Joseph H. Walsh, 40, died heroically on June 17, 1864 in the Army of the Rebellion. His sister, Ada Walsh, 10, died in November, 1865 and his brother, Joie Walsh, 8, died Christmas eve 1865. The day after Joie's death, John's mother, Lovisa "Loisa" Walsh, 34, died also. Two brothers, Selam and William Walsh and a sister, Sarah Bryne, survive. His was a family plagued with tragedy.
(Note...Joseph Walsh, according to his gravestone, "Fell before Petersburgh," in Virginia at the last battle of the Civil War, before the Confederates retreated to surrender at Appomattox Court House. His decomposed body finally arrived back home by train and he is buried, with his family around him, in the Pendell Cemetery, in the heart of Athol, across from the town museum.)
Family man dies ready for the knife
Thomas Curran, 40, a former resident of North Creek, died in New York City. Mr. Curran was taken to a hospital to undergo an operation for appendicitis. When he was placed on the operating table the surgeon said he was already near death with pneumonia and refused to operate. Death ensued before he was taken from the table. A widow and six young children survive.
Area horseman dominates Lake George racing
M.B. Riddell, the well known Luzerne horseman, has traded his bay gelding "Bert R." for "Nutwood Boy," a green horse owned by Gloversville parties. Bert R. is well known by local horsemen, and during the winter has taken first money in three local Lake George races, losing but one heat in four events.
Phonograph music played at gathering
Phoebe Leavitt had an enjoyable social gathering at her pleasant home in Riparius. A bountiful New England supper was served and donated oranges and popcorn were offered for sale. Thirty-six dollars was realized to apply to the salary of the Rev. Mr. Abbott, of Chestertown. Music was furnished by Miss May, of Chestertown and Miss Rheinlander, of Glens Falls, also by Mrs. Leavitt's phonograph.
Bonnie Brae Villa owner dies
John Luce Russell, 72, died April 8, 1909 of arterial sclerosis (heart trouble) at his residence, 87 First Street, Troy. John Russell was a native of Warrensburgh. In 1865 he returned home from the Civil War with a southern bride, Mary L. Denison and built a magnificent summer home for her, known as Bonnie Brae Villa. He raised Morgan draft horses. (Note: In later years the house was known as Chalet Swiss, a former boarding house and restaurant. It was located next to the mountain, behind the present day Warrensburg Post Office. It burned March 13, 1980.)
Store and apartment house destroyed
Sanford Young's two-story store building and apartment house on River St., Lewisville section, Warrensburgh, was destroyed by fire March 19, 1909 and although the shell is left standing it is no longer of any value. The property was valued at about $3,000 and the loss is half covered by $1,500 insurance.
There were two stores in the building, one of which was occupied by Frank E. White as a meat market and the other by A.J. Bossom & Brother, upholsterers. Mr. White saved all of his stock and most of his fixtures and estimates his loss at $100. The Bossom brothers lost everything, stock, tools and also furniture owned by townspeople which were undergoing repairs.
(Note...Frank E. White later bought the property from Sanford Young and planned to erect a new building on the foundation of the ruined structure. The former Young home is today at 137 River Street, known locally as "Under the Elms," once the home of the late Elwin Swinton. I am not sure just where the burned building was located).
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.