Stoddard's Adirondack travel booklet offered
Seneca Ray Stoddard of Glens Falls has placed on the market a neat little booklet entitled "Picturesque Trips through the Adirondacks in an Automobile." The booklet is replete with photographs and other interesting data gathered by Stoddard during his recent tour of the Adirondacks. Valuable information is given on the condition of the roads. The booklet sells for 25 cents and is of inestimable value to autoists. (Note- Stoddard, photographer, artist, writer and civil engineer, came to Glens Falls in 1864 and his studio was on 38 Elm St. He never became the legend he is now until many years after he was buried on Quaker Rd. in Queensbury, between his two wives.)
Hot time in the old town
The thermometer registered 99 degrees in the shade Aug. 8, 1909 in Warrensburgh.
The Max Hillman Company is presenting this week at the Music Hall (corner of Main and Adirondack streets) a series of entertainments which are in every way worthy of patronage. Miss Hillman is a charming actress and appears in very fetching costumes. On the night of Aug. 19, 1909, the company will present the great metropolitan success, "The Devil." A crowded house is expected.
There are 21 guests at The Pines, representing the cities of Troy, Albany, Schenectady, New York and Brooklyn. (Note: This popular boarding house, still standing on the corner of Fourth Ave. and Hudson St., was owned by Henry L. Smith in 1909, but later was known as "the old Davis place.")
Edwin C. Parker of Lake George and Amanda Wright of Warrensburgh were married Aug. 12, 1909 at the Baptist parsonage, Warrensburgh.
Minnie M. Saunders, 37, wife of William Saunders of North Warrensburgh, died Monday, Aug. 16, 1909. She is survived by her husband and three children. Burial was in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Boy learns bitter lesson
A touring car driven by Harry Kellogg, 19, son of Ashley T. Kellogg of Glens Falls, formerly a prominent businessman of Warrensburgh, ran over and seriously injured Edward LeClair, 8, son of Louis LeClair of Glens Falls. The accident occurred directly in front of City Hall on Ridge St.
Hanging onto the rear end of a brick wagon as it was coming down the street was the LeClair boy. Kellogg began tooting his horn and the boy let go of the wagon and ran for the sidewalk where his sister was yelling at him, passing in front of the automobile. Kellogg immediately applied the brakes but the momentum of the machine carried the forward wheel over the youth's abdomen.
The child was taken to the office of Dr. Little and than he was driven home by Harry Kellogg in the touring car. Eye-witnesses said that Kellogg was in no way at fault.
Lake George News
The formal opening of the new parish house of St. James Church, Lake George, took place the evening of Aug. 10, 1909. The Rev. C.O. Judkins of Glens Falls was the principal speaker. George Foster Peabody, Henry W. Hayden, Mr. Tommasso and Daniel Imrie all contributed a few words on this special occasion.
William Lockhart, 83, died Aug. 16, 1909 at East Lake George. Burial was in the Lake George Cemetery.
A total of 9,735 voters are registered for the upcoming election in Warren County. There are 650 registered in Caldwell (Lake George) and 845 registered in Warrensburgh. The vote this year will be heavy because of so many local issues.
The Lake George Steamboat Co. has received plans from W.A. Fletcher & Co., of Hoboken, N.J. for the new steamer which will be built this winter at the Baldwin docks on Lake George. It will succeed the Horicon, which will be dismantled. The Horicon was built in 1876 and has been remodeled several times. The new boat will be named the Horicon and will take the trip now handled by The Sagamore.
Fire disaster averted
A fire broke out Aug. 15, 1909 on the premises of Fred Bruno, one mile from Riverside. It soon ran across the meadow to the woods and the strong wind carried the flames through the dry pine tops at a rapid speed. It took 19 men and boys to put out the fire after hustling about for over two hours. Ten acres were burned.
Margaret Van Rennselear, of Saratoga Springs was 101 years old on Aug. 15, 1909 and is wonderfully active. She expects to outlive her mother who died at the age of 105 years. Her father lived to be 99 years old.
Mr. Hoyt and his hired man of Day Center, took out a drove of cattle from North Thurman.
Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Morehouse of Chatimac Lake House, Bakers Mills, welcomed a new baby boy, on Aug. 16, 1909, to their home.
Henry F. Smith, 80, of Athol, was found dead in his bed on Aug. 16, 1909 having expired of heart disease. He leaves a widow, two sons and two daughters. The funeral was held from the Athol Church.
Daniel Griffin's barn and contents in Wevertown, consisting of his entire hay crop, two calves, two wagons, two sets of harness and 3,000 pounds of rags, the latter being stored for Mr. Simmons of Glens Falls, were destroyed by fire Thursday evening, Aug. 12, 1909. The origin of the blaze has not been determined.
Frank Saville, 46, died very suddenly Aug. 5, 1909 at the home of his brother, Elroy Saville of Darrowsville. He is survived by a widow and three children. The funeral was held from the Darrowsville Church. (Note- Darrowsville was named for James Darrow and the historical old church is neglected but still standing.)
The stores of Clarence P. Smith and P. Smith & Son in Horicon were broken into Aug. 12, 1909 and goods to the amount of about $200 were stolen.
Civil War records found
In the attic of the old Matthew Irish residence - located near Lake George Village and recently overhauled and repaired - workmen found a number of interesting documents, among them the protest of the men who were drafted during the Civil War who sought reimbursement from the county and state.
Volunteering for the army, which at first had begun spontaneously and with burning enthusiasm, had stopped and the administration had been forced to drafting which had drastically upset the lives of many families.
Abe back in the news
Abraham Lincoln's portrait has appeared for the very first time on a U.S. coin in Aug. 1909 and it was designed by Victor David Brenner. Minted in San Francisco, 484,000 of these pennies were issued with Brenner's initials on the back. (Note- One of these coins today, with Brenner's initials, exclusive to that first batch, has sold for thousands of dollars.)
Wright shows aeroplane to Germans
Eager for fresh aeroplane victories in Europe, Orville Wright sailed for Germany, Aug. 11, 1909, on the ocean liner Kronprinzessin Cecile with his sister, Katherine Wright, for a two-month visit. He will demonstrate before the Kaiser at Tegelhof, near Berlin, the areoplane which is being shipped on the same liner on which he is traveling.
Wilbur Wright will meanwhile carry on the business at the factory in Dayton, Ohio. The average rate of speed for a Wright flying machine is 40 miles per hour.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1nycap.rr.com or 623-2210