Sweltering weather in March?
No robin looks for spring more anxiously than the family man who keeps the furnace going all winter.
With the mercury 90 degrees in the shade April 5, 1910, Warrensburgh citizens were treated to weather that prompts spring fever. Hardly a breath of air stirred to break the quiet of the day and people on the street perspired from their exertion. There were few automobiles out and about which protected pedestrians from the annoyance of flying dust. Some predict that this present pleasant weather will not last and snow may again make an appearance by next week.
All kinds of summer birds are with us and the frogs are peeping every evening as they normally do in May. Roads are getting dry and dusty. Some of the farmers already have their gardens plowed. River log driving has begun in earnest. No gentleman has yet dared to take his straw hat out of storage.
County Home passes scrutiny
An inspection of the Warrensburgh County Home was made Jan. 26, 1910 and a report was made to be read at the Board of Supervisor's April session. It said in part, "The Almshouse is old, but is taking on an appearance of great comfort. The second floor of the men's rear wing is the only portion without metal sheeted walls. Most of the floors are very old and should be renewed.
Laundry work is done by hand in a detached building. The dormitories for men are frame buildings, hence combustible. The only means of exit from the second floor is by piazza roofs or by a single, steep, narrow flight of stairs in each building.
The sick men receive good care in a pleasant, sunny hospital ward from which opens on a wide veranda. Nine men are in the hospital at this time. Useless inmates are regulated so that kitchen work is done by special men who understand that kind of work. It is felt that better fire inspection is needed.
There is strict attention to duty at the home and absolutely no intoxication is allowed. The cleanliness of the Almshouse is because of the strict inspections of Supervisor E.W. Griggs who receives a salary of $800 a year. Matron Mrs. G.N. Swan receives $500 a year.
(Note...Because the state mandated that every county provide a poorhouse, in 1826 the county purchased 200 acres along both sides of the Schroon River in Warrensburg for $1,400 for that purpose and a building was erected on the west bank of the river. Land on the Warrensburg side was purchased from James Durham and land on the Bolton side was acquired from Halsey Rogers.
By 1860 the building became too small to meet the needs of the poor which were rapidly growing in number and a "plain, substantial and convenient county-house at or near the old house on said farm" was built. The native stone portion, quarried near by was built by Peter Bewel who also built the old stone building that today stands at the apex of Main and Hudson streets in Warrensburg.
Support for each of the 54 residents that resided there at that time was estimated at 90 cents a week, supplemented by food raised on the large farm. Each inmate was expected to work if able.
The county home was further enlarged and saw many changes over the years. Eventually another "residential hall" was built across the street and today the time honored old "almshouse" has been converted into an apartment house complex.)
Flurry of activity in Lake George
Robert Ludlow, of the firm of Ludlow & Peabody, architects, is in charge of the plans for the new Fort William Henry Hotel and can be seen walking the grounds daily. He expects that the foundation will be commenced not later than May 1, 1910. Walls, floating decks, summer houses, etc., will be built and a new train depot will replace the current structure. The Delaware and Hudson railroad is expected to spend over $500,000 on the project and many local men will be employed.
Hardworking girl praised
A Bakers Mills gentleman wrote to the Warrensburgh News, "We have a good sensible girl here in town who will take the medal for doing barn chores. Miss Cecil Sawyer, 13, took care of two colts, one yearling, the other a two-year-old horse, nineteen sheep, a cow and calf and 20 hens for 17 weeks, while her father, Lewis Sawyer and brother, Clarence were at Long Lake West in the lumber woods working for William Montgomery."
(Note...These were the days before video games and "texting" came along to forever change America's youth.)
Good price, good bargains, easy terms
There is a large farm, situate in the town of Thurman, five miles from Warrensburgh, 131 acres, eight room house in fair condition, three large barns, a large fertile garden, plenty of wood, well fenced. The owner will sell for $900 with easy terms and no down payment.
Every day is bargain day at Regner's store, the old Lavery's emporium on Elm St., Warrensburgh. Spring house cleaning has come again and the tack hammer is heard once more.
Three pounds of fresh salmon is 25 cents and three large cakes of toilet soap are 25 cents. Fine new men's footwear sells for 89 cents a pair. Regner's new store is on the banks of the Schroon River. (The store was on the lot across the street from present day Riverside Gallery.)
Distinction is the keynote of the sumptuous Easter exhibition of 1910's daintiest wash goods at B.B. Fowler & Co.'s store in Glens Falls. Domestic gingham is 7 cents to 15 cents a yard. Imported French zibeline is 29 cents a yard.
News from Johnsburgh Corners
Frank Monthany of North Creek and Miss Vera A. Holland of North River were married April 2, 1910 at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage.
A barn and contents owned by Henry Johnson burned. The fire was caused by overheating of damp corn stalks and there was only a small insurance.
James Ronan is having a new barn built on his home farm. Fred Scriber has painted the building for the graphite company.
Fred Burdick is selling the Oliver sulky plow and has been around showing farmers how to use it. It works well on any level ground.
New bank opens in North Creek
The North Creek National Bank recently organized with Howard H. Pruyn of Glens Falls as president and R.J. Martin as cashier, was opened for business April 4, 1910. The new bank will occupy quarters temporarily in the building opposite the Adirondack Hotel in North Creek and during the coming summer the bank will build a new modern home.
Orlando Bryant, who was arrested March 31, 1910 for public intoxication, was given a hearing the next day before Justice Hodgson who sentenced the prisoner to 30 days in the county jail or pay a fine of $30. Bryant paid the fine.
Maurice O'Connor, proprietor of the Warren House (currently Stewart's store lot) has been suffering from an abscess in his ear. Arthur Cleveland cut the forefinger of his left hand with a jack knife nearly severing it at the first joint.
Lem Hayes is building a shoe shop on South St., Warrensburgh. While see-sawing at the Igerna School, Leone Daney fell onto a rock and broke her leg below the knee.
The Kenyontown Baptist Church has received a fine new organ as a gift from the Lanchester Sunday School at Buffalo. Soper and Somerville's new fertilizer spreader has arrived and it is a dandy.
Frank W. Orton and Walter Pasco will be census enumerators for the work that will begin April 15, 1910. Frank Cameron will have the job in Thurman and Grant Glassbrook will serve in Stony Creek.
Dr. C.B. Cunningham is preparing to build this season a handsome residence on his lot adjoining Henry Griffin's place on Elm St., Warrensburgh and work will start immediately. (Note...This is the big house just south of the library where Dr. Lawrence had his practice for so many years).
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.