Balmy weather follows hard winter
We have had an early spring and the cattle were out to pasture before the tenth of April this year, although they could not get a full feed then without hay being fed. All plant life is now a full month earlier than usual. Dandelions were in bloom by April 28, 1910.
Thunder and lightening and bright starlight all came together on the evening of May 2, 1909, and light snow and hail fell with rain the following day. But now at last, gentle spring has come and it is the time to sing of the beauties of outdoor life and early vegetation, provided that one is well aware of guarding against the cold and dampness left over from winter. Picking greens seems to be greatly in vogue and nearly every family is enjoying these delightful spring shoots after a long hard winter. (Note: by the mid-1900s, farming became virtually extinct in Warren County with large factory farms elsewhere forcing family operations out of business. However, a new trend of boutique and specialty farming is now gaining ground in the Adirondacks, particularly with the new focus on locally produced food.)
Train brings excitement
It was raw and cold and raining but with flags flying, Troy's Publicity Train backed over the rail branch May 3, 1910 after 6 o'clock in the evening from Thurman Station to Warrensburgh where it was placed on the Empire Shirt Company's siding. Officials of the shirt company were on the train to greet the Troy representatives and generously supplied electricity for the train during the three hours the train was open for inspection.
Warrensburgh townspeople and visitors were waiting to board the train when it arrived and more than 1,000 persons saw the impressive exhibits. The Publicity Train is a complete train with eight cars, including a diner and a Pullman sleeper. The cars linked together formed one big exhibition hall with colored bunting and pleasing effects to set off the exhibits of Troy merchants and manufacturers.
The train left Warrensburgh at 7 a.m. the next day for Fort Edward, running back to Thurman Station and then to Saratoga Springs. Over night the Trojan party was banqueted at the Rockwell House in Glens Falls.
(Note...The Empire Shirt Company was in the building where Lizzie Keays restaurant is now located. The train tracks from Thurman Station to that location were there for many years before they were finally taken up 20 years ago or so. The landmark mansard-roofed Rockwell House, Glens Falls' largest hotel, burned many years ago. It had been built by the two sons of hotelman George T. Rockwell on the west side of Glen St.)
Lake George now welcoming tourists
The Lake George season opened May 2, 1910, looking forward to a record breaking summer. The steamer Mohican, with Captain Wesley Finkle, 68, in command, runs daily except Sunday from Baldwin to Lake George Village and returns. Captain Finkle has been in the employ of the Champlain Transportation Co. for 36 years and has been on the waters of Lake George since boyhood. On May 30, 1910 the regular line boats will be in commission for the season.
In other news, Minard G. Wood, 74, died Thursday, April 28, 1910 at his home on Ripley Point, Lake George. He was the brother of Mrs. Reuben Ripley.
Horror in the South Seas
News has been received that the Rev. Horatio Hopkins and his assistant, the Rev. Hector Laurie McPherson, missionaries of the Presbyterian Church on Savage Island in the South Seas, which was annexed by Great Britain in 1899, on Feb. 5, 1910 were killed and eaten by cannibals.
The new iron fence around the Baptist Church lot in Bolton Landing is nearly completed and it is a substantial-looking arrangement.
In North Creek John Anderson Jr. has a gang of men building shacks for the men to sleep in who work on the state road from the river bridge to Minerva. They will be ready to throw dirt in about a week.
Some years ago Black Walnut trees were so plentiful here that the wood was often used for fence posts. Today these trees are so scarce that a Delaware man is paying up to $100 a tree to send the wood to Germany where it is cut into veneer.
The new Estey pipe organ recently installed in the Warrensburgh Methodist Episcopal Church will be dedicated starting May 19, 1910 with elaborate three-day ceremonies. Reginald McAll, a magnificent and prominent organist of New York City, will perform on the instrument. A fee of 25 cents will be charged to go to the organ fund.
About 70 members of the Boy's Conservation League of Glens Falls planted 2,000 trees May 7, 1910 in Crandall Park on the northern outskirts of the city. After the work was done , they were served a banquet, topped off with ice cream, in the park woods.
Glorious old age
James Nelson, next to the oldest man in Washington County, celebrated the 98th anniversary of his birth April 29, 1910 at the home of his son, Charles Nelson in Fort Ann.
The other aged man is the Rev. Cicero Barber of Fort Edward who is 101. He is the son of Dr. Isaac Barber who was born in 1781 in the town of Berne, practiced medicine and represented Albany County in the state legislature. Isaac Barber was the son of Moses Barber, a Connecticut citizen and soldier of the Revolutionary War. The Barbers trace their ancestry back to the time of William the Conqueror.
(Note...In this column, Aug. 22, 2009, I told the story of the drowning of the 29 year old dentist, Dr. Arthur Barber, win the waters of Lake George near Diamond Point. Dr. Arthur Barber was the son of Cicero Barber who was 80 years old when Arthur was born.)
Emersons host notable weekend guests
Senator George H. Cobb, president pro-tem of the state Senate, Attorney General O'Malley and Col. George W. Kavanaugh of Waterford, were Sunday guests of Senator and Mrs. James A. Emerson at Warrensburgh. They arrived in town Saturday in Colonel Kavanaugh's Stoddard touring car. Senator Cobb said that Warrensburgh was "a go-ahead and smart village."
(Note: I can picture these gentlemen smoking cigars, holding snifters of brandy and talking insider politics in Sen.Emerson's lovely living room. Today James Emerson's house is the home and bed & breakfast of Faithann Buck.
Local Glee Club plans show
The Lake George Glee Club will give a minstrel show and dance in Warrensburgh at Music Hall May 19, 1910 for the benefit of the Lake George Band. The performance includes a concert by the band, augmented for the occasion by several musicians from the Glens Falls Band, on the piazza of the Adirondack Hotel. The minstrels have played to packed houses at Lake George and Bolton and they put on a good show. (Note: the Adirondack Hotel was where Rite Aid is now in Warrensburg, and the hotel had a beautiful "piazza" flanked by big white columns. The Music Hall was next door north over Adirondack Ave.)
A marked decline has occurred in the price of certain food products. Wheat has declined 17 cents a bushel and potatoes have not been so low in years.
A team of horses belonging to the North Woods Club and driven by the superintendent, Fay Weller, ran away April 28, 1910 and Mr. Weller was very seriously injured.
In North Creek, Milford Kenwell is building a horse barn on his home lot. Samuel A. Rexford will build a new house on Bridge St. George Sanders has the foundation all ready for the erection of a new house on Circle St.
Sturdivan's bakery wagon comes to Chestertown from Warrensburgh every Friday and Saturday and will continue to do so for the following season. (Note: Sturdivan's old bakery building on Elm Street is now Riverside Gallery.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210