On the Griffing farm in Thurman is a cemetery in which a number of burials were made prior to 1800.
Stephen Griffing the elder and his wife, Elizabeth Uhl, who settled on the farm March 1, 1800, are buried there, also their sons, John Griffing and Col. William Griffing, and their wives, together with other descendants. Major Richardson Thurman, who was an extensive landowner in that area, died April 6, 1806 and is also buried in the cemetery.
A substantial concrete wall under the supervision of Ernest Moon of Hill View (Diamond Point), is being built by Henry Griffing, Miss Grace Merrill, William Irving Griffing, William Griffing Leland, of Glens Falls and Charles H. Griffing of New York City.
They have also ordered a granite monument to be placed there at the grave of Stephen Griffing the elder, who served in the Revolutionary War as a soldier and officer, with an inscription commenting on some of the events of that period.
(Note...This historic cemetery is not seen by many people as it is tucked back in the woods on top of a steep bank on the south side of the big turn to Athol near Thurman Station.
Stephen Griffing the elder was the father of John Griffing and 10 other children. He was also the grandfather of John's son, Stephen Griffing II, who was born Oct. 18, 1812, near present-day Cronin's Golf Course. At one time he ran the Adirondack Hotel (later Colonial Arms, where Rite Aid now stands) and built the house now housing Grace's Restaurant. Grace Merrill Lown Magee, who died in 1979, was Stephen II's granddaughter.)