Historic Collins House purchased
W.H. Kelley of Glens Falls has purchased the Collins House, the big hotel at Stony Creek, and took possession Aug. 30, 1909. He is an experienced hotel man and will remodel and refit the Collins House throughout. The establishment can accommodate 30 guests and it incorporates a livery. Hunting parties will be catered to and fed good meals this fall. (Note - Landlord Collins leased the Collins House for several years and bought it in January, 1904. In July that year the Tannery Pond dam gave way and the rushing water knocked out the supports of the building and slid it into the Roaring Branch stream, "the front of the house being crushed like an eggshell." Local residents who were sharpshooters saw lamps burning in the building and shot the lights out to prevent fire. The water took away furniture, dishes and hotel paraphernalia and deposited the debris for miles along the shore of the swollen creek.
Collins rebuilt and opened his "new hotel" in January, 1905. Years later this old hotel, at Hadley and Roaring Branch Roads, became the Stony Creek Inn. In 1916, owner John H. Arehart built an addition and enlarged the inn. It is exists today, and includes a restaurant operation.
The perfect wife
"When the bread is perfectly baked, the coffee strong and hot, the steak juicy and fragrant, the hash well built and appetizing and the batter-cakes light and smoking as the melting butter is absorbed, the spirit of the Lord descends upon the household like a dove and the caverns of the lucky man's soul echo with 'Glory Hallelujah!' The girl who can cook is a divinity. She is the delight of a man's soul."
William D. Combs and Miss Alice Baker, both of Thurman, were quietly married on the evening of July 28, 1909 at the residence of Sanford Truesdale, by the Rev. William Bills.
Hollis Russell and Miss Mina D. Morehouse, both of Warrensburgh, were married the evening of Aug. 30, 1909 at the Baptist parsonage by the Rev. W.S. Warren.
Earl R. Vetter, one of the most popular young men of Chestertown, took unto himself a bride in the person of Miss Julia Schell, of Little Falls.
Leslie Tripp, of Warrensburgh and Miss Estella Bennett, of Garnet, were married Sept. 4, 1909 at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage, Johnsburgh by the Rev. D.E. Williams.
Henry Shaw and Miss Lulu Stevens, both of North River, were married Tuesday, Sept. 7, 1909, at North Creek by the Rev. J.B. Randall.
Stony Creek news
Francis J. Dean, 84, an esteemed and life-long citizen of Stony Creek, died the morning of Aug. 28, 1909. He is survived by a widow and six children, two sons, Jason and Joel Dean and four daughters. The funeral was held from the Wesleyan Methodist Church of which he was a member for over 50 years. Internment was in the Dean Cemetery.
(Note - On Aug. 7, 1898, John Smith wrote in a letter to his father, "Jason L. Dean, son of Francis Dean, has built a large two story house right on the corner of the Dean farm as you turn to go towards the bridge, and has made a fine looking place out of an unsightly looking corner. He and also his father do quite a business keeping summer boarders.")
New building projects
Ira Wilsey has completed the cellar and foundation walls for his new house on Fourth Street, Warrensburgh.
The foundation of the new concrete dam for the Schroon River Pulp and Paper Company, at Burnhamville (Thurman Rd.), is half done and work on the apron has been begun.
Work has been started on the construction of the new Methodist Episcopal Church near East Thurman, The cornerstone was laid Sept. 22, 1909 with all the appropriate ceremonies, conducted by the Rev. Fred L. Decker.
Fire destroys local property
A fire in East Thurman which was seen for miles around occurred the evening of Sept. 2, 1909, when the barn and corn crib on the Ransom Wilsey farm burned to the ground. Mr. Wilsey had 25 tons of hay and a large quantity of farm implements stored in the barn, all of which were destroyed.
The house on the William Bates farm, which was occupied on Sept. 3, 1909 by some lumbermen, was destroyed by fire that morning.
Local news roundabout
Cold and clear was the order for Labor Day weather and the holiday was passed pleasantly by Warrensburgh folk.
Miss Jennie Smith has returned home to Warrensburgh from Athol where she was employed this past summer at the Cameron boarding house. She has resumed her position in the factory of the Empire Shirt Company.
Mrs. Warren Curtis, of Corinth, with an automobile party, passed through Knowelhurst to and from West Stony Creek. The large auto was decorated with American flags.
Mrs. Ross Taylor, 40, of Pottersville died Sept. 6, 1909 of cancer. She was a great sufferer for weeks but bore all the pain with Christian patience and fortitude. She leaves a husband and five children. She is also survived by her mother, Nellie Keyes. Interment was in the Griswold Cemetery.
W.H. Noxon of North Creek purchased a horse and wagon from Scott Monthany, of Indian Lake. John Hall of Newcomb has sold his auto to Anna Lindsey.
H.C. Ingraham took a load of people from Landon Hill at Moon Hill Camp to Chestertown on Sunday to church. Arthur Cleveland, of North River, has gone to Tahawus, where he is employed carting iron ore.
Warrensburgh's schools in bygone days
A question this week from local resident Mildred Johnson read prompted research into where early schools were located in the center of Warrensburgh.
Around 1800, the only building in uptown Warrensburgh was a schoolhouse which stood near where the Methodist Church is today. There was no church edifice in those days and the Methodist Society held their services in this school house. In 1810 the society built a Methodist Episcopal Church on Judge Kitchel Bishop's land across the main street from today's church and the town cemetery was in the church yard.
The late Town Historian Mabel Tucker recorded that this school was on a lot owned by Lemuel Woodward who afterward conducted a business in a stone store there. In 1811 through 1812 the school, with 60 to 70 students, was taught by Samuel Lake of Chestertown, followed by lawyer Samuel Stevens of Albany. In 1840 the church was moved across the street and about 1895 the cemetery was moved to its present location.
Because of travel limitations, there were later several small schools in different parts of town. My late husband's father, Ed Hadden, born in 1872, attended school in a building still standing today on the south section of River St.
Later on, shares of stock were sold in the prestigious Warrensburgh Academy and this school, which produced many outstanding men of the day, was built in 1854 of native stone and wood where the Hudson Headwaters medical offices stand today. A small school built in 1832 once stood there. The total cost was $4,500 and 75 to 100 students a year attended. The first principal was the Rev. Robert C. Clapp of Chestertown.
The Warrensburgh Union Free School and Academy was later organized March 6, 1888 and in June, 1899 work started on a new building on a different part the same lot, made of native stone from nearby Hackensack Mountain. The old building had closed its doors in 1898 and was demolished.
This new school opened in March, 1900. The street, now Stewart Farrar, was called School Street in those days. Many people living in Warrensburg today went to school there. The school building was abandoned in 1943 and much later a small, brick post office was built on the lot. The medical offices are in that same building today.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210