Deplorable conditions at county jail
The Warren County Board of Supervisors has been put on notice that if it does not take action to replace the present county jail at Lake George, the state commission of correction will institute condemnation proceedings. This would leave the county without a jail and the taxpayers would be put to the expense of paying for the transportation of prisoners to other counties and for their board while incarcerated. Supervisor of Warrensburg and chairman of the County Board of Supervisors, Lee Orton called an emergency session of the board for June 25, 1959 to discuss the matter.
(Note...Warren County was created March 12, 1813 and the first mention I have found of a Caldwell Gaol (Lake George Jail) was written in that year. In 1830, six prisoners were committed on various criminal charges, whereas seven more were committed for debt.
The "new" court house and jail, however, was built starting in 1845 and completed in April, 1846 by contractor Winfield S. Sherwood of Glens Falls at a total cost of $3,600. It came complete with stone chimneys, one fireplace and a 10-foot piazza (porch) across the front with a cupola on top "to be built strong enough to receive a bell." The tiny, cramped cells in the cellar below were not fit to house animals, much less people and many famous prisoners languished there over the years. Today, 50 years after the jail was threatened to be condemned, the beautiful old Lake George Courthouse is the location of the village museum and the Lake George Arts Project. The replacement county jail was built at the county Municipal Center several miles south on Rte. 9 in Queensbury, and five years ago or so, it was replaced by another far larger public safety complex on the same campus. The one built in the early 1960s may be used to house the homeless who apply for temporary assistance through the county.)
Warrensburg graduates shine
The Warrensburg Central School outdoor graduation commencement exercises were conducted on the front lawn of the school on Friday, June 19, 1959 at 7:30 p.m. The valedictory was given by Saralee Orton and the salutatory by Sandra Carpenter. The school band, directed by Kenneth Niles furnished the music and the Girls Ensemble, under the direction of Robert Frank, sang.
Awards were presented by Principal Durwood Weaver. Diplomas were given out to the senior and ninth grade classes by Howard W. Savage, president of the Board of Education. The class of 1959 is made up of 13 boys and 15 girls. There were 48 students who graduated from Junior High School.
(Note...There are 68 graduates in the class of 2009. There are no longer graduation ceremonies for ninth graders.)
Local Buying and selling
The Warrensburg P.T.A. held a rummage sale on June 6, 1959 at the Odd Fellows Hall (now VFW and the Warrensburgh Museum of Local History) to raise money to purchase a piano for the Warrensburg school.
The popular Blue Bird Bakery, at 50 Main St. Warrensburg, is owned by Mr. and Mrs. William Dorner. (Note...In 2009 the historic old Warren House, said to have once been the home of James Warren for whom the town was probably named, is now owned and lived in by Dorner's daughter, Gloria and her husband, Benjamin Gonzalez. Dorner's grand daughter, Heidi Bennett has run a barber shop, Heidi's Clip Joint, in the former bakery part of the house for many years.
Ken Niles is selling strawberries from his garden at 18 Prospect Street, Warrensburg, for 50 cents a quart.
Robert Thomson, automobile dealer at 47 Canada Street, Lake George has for sale brand new 1959 Dodge Silver Challengers, with whitewall tires, for $2,530.50.
Warrensburg real estate broker Mark Bruce reports that the Rothman property on Lower Library Ave. has been sold to Mr. and Mrs. Hennig of New York City as a retirement home.
Frantic struggle to save injured father
Roluth "Sigh" Monger, 8, of Warrensburg, went fishing with his father, Roland Monger in Fly Brook, four miles north of Bolton Landing. The boy's mother waited in the car on the highway three-fourths of a mile away.
Mr. Monger lost his footing while wading in the brook and fell down a 20-foot waterfall. He was able, in spite of his injuries, to swim to the shore and lay on the bank. He told Sigh that he thought his leg was broken
The boy dashed through the woods to summon his mother who realized, after she had rushed to her husband's side, that help would be necessary. Leaving Sigh with his father, she returned to the highway and located a telephone. Unable to reach the Bolton Landing Emergency Squad, she got a call through to the Warrensburg Squad where Walton "Buck" Stone contacted the Bolton Squad via their two-way radio through the sheriff's office. The Bolton ambulance quickly arrived at the scene and rushed Monger to the Glens Falls Hospital where, with a fractured ankle, is expected to stay for six weeks.
Local deaths noted
Ernest W. Clark, 64, was fatally stricken May 30, 1959 at his home while shoeing a horse. Burial was in the Griswold Cemetery, Pottersville.
Lee M. Remington, 71, of 18 Smith St. Warrensburg died May 31, 1959 in Glens Falls Hospital following a long illness. Surviving are his wife, Olive and one son, George Remington, three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Burial was in the Warrensburg Cemetery.
Walter Davis, night-watchman at Robert J. Sweet lumber mill in North Warrensburg, was found dead June 6, 1959. He had been employed at the mill for five years. He is survived by one son, Arnold R. Davis and three grand-daughters. Burial was in the Warrensburg Cemetery.
Warrensburg Supervisor Lee Orton pledged his enthusiastic support to the local Chamber of Commerce to secure a new post office building for the town. (Note...In 1959 the post office was located in a building roughly across the street from the Church of the Holy Cross.)
Mr. and Mrs. Edward Binder, formerly of Warrensburg, now residing Sacramento, California, arrived here June 9, 1959 for a three-week vacation with relatives. Binder will soon start his work with Aero Jet General Corp. as development engineer. (Note...Edward Binder is the son of famous artist Jack Binder and he and his wife now live in a lovely home in Thurman. Mrs. Binder is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Burch of Athol.)
Ann Young, popular freshman at Skidmore College and daughter of Mrs. Hannah Young, graces the cover of this year's Adirondack Guide. She is shown on the beach at Warrensburg's Echo Lake. (Note...Hannah Young owned a 5-and-10-cent store that once stood where the Potter's Diner parking lot now exists. Clyde Farrar's Pharmacy was in the north half of the building.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1nycap.rr.com or 623-2210