This 2-cent piece was only produced from 1864 to 1872.
To enhance students’ understanding of the Civil War that divided this nation 150 years ago, a lively program is planned for Johnsburg Central School. Students in grades 4-8 will be entertained and instructed by professional Civil War re-enactors in period costume Friday, Sept. 9 at the school.
That school program will kick off a series of events in North Creek to commemorate the anniversary of the start of the Civil War. (See News Enterprise 9/3 edition for complete details). Test your knowledge of Civil War history and answer the 15 questions below. Send your answers to: Johnsburg Historical Society, P.O. Box 144, Wevertown, NY 12886. Winners will receive Civil War-era coins donated by North Creek Depot Museum President Ray Flanigan.
Civil War Quiz
1) The Civil War was fought:
a. Before the Revolutionary War
b. After the Spanish-American War
c. Before the War of 1812
d. Before World War I
2) “In God We Trust” appeared on a U.S. coin for the first time during the Civil War.
3) John Brown captured the armory in Harpers Ferry to:
a. Find shelter for the night
b. Seize weapons to arm local slaves
c. Provide ammunition to Confederate forces
d. Sell weapons for a profit
4) Charleston, South Carolina was the capital of the Confederate States of America.
5) Most Southerners were slave owners.
6) Abraham Lincoln was the first president to appear on circulating United States coins.
7) The bloodiest single day of the Civil War occurred during which battle?
a. Battle of Chancellorsville
b. Battle of Antietam
c. Battle of Gettysburg
d. Battle of Shiloh
8) Andersonville prison was located in the state of:
a. South Carolina
9) Which United States president was the last to serve as a soldier in the Civil War?
a. Ulysses S. Grant
b. William McKinley
c. Rutherford B. Hayes
d. Benjamin Harrison
10) A congressional medal of honor was awarded to a 12-year-old boy during the war.
11) The Emancipation Proclamation freed:
a. Slaves in the border states
b. All slaves
c. No slaves
d. Slaves in states that were in rebellion
12) The first submarine for military purposes was used during the Civil War.
13) The plan employed by the union to defeat the confederacy was called the:
a. Eagle Plan
b. Bison Plan
c. Lion Plan
d. Anaconda Plan
14) No states were admitted to the Union during the Civil War.
15) Which Confederate state suffered the most casualties?
a. North Carolina
c. South Carolina