AU SABLE FORKS - The sixth annual Christmas in the Forks, an old fashioned Town Yuletide Christmas will include the highlight of the day, the tree lighting ceremony at 6 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 4, at the Town of Black Brook Town Clock.
Many hands help to make Christmas in the Forks bigger and better each year. The Au Sable Forks downtown merchants, the Au Sable Forks Fire Department, the Au Sable Forks Free Library, Plattsburgh's Media Central, the Clock Project Committee, the Towns of Jay and Black Brook employees, the Au Sable Forks Revitalization Committee, the Hollywood Theatre, Clinton and Essex County Sherriff's Departments and especially the Tree Lighting Committee Chaired by Helen Wirt-Kennedy have all collaborated as sponsors to make Dec. 4 a magical night for children of all ages.
The Au Sable Forks Clock Park Christmas Tree will be donated this year by Noel and Doree Jacobsen and will be lit at 6 p.m., proceeded by the Holy Name School and Au Sable Forks Elementary School Choirs. The Jacobsen's had the perfect tree in their yard and their removal of it would help them to be a part of this year's celebration, as they have enjoyed this special evening in the past. Personalized wooden ornaments to be placed on the tree can be purchased by calling Wirt-Kennedy 647-8332 or 578-0865.
The sixth annual Christmas in the Forks timeline for Dec. 4 is as follows:
• 9 a.m.-2 p.m.: "Women's Advent Retreat" St. James Episcopal Church
• 2:30-3 p.m.: "Story Hour with Mrs. Claus" (for the young at heart) The Au Sable Forks Free Library
• 3-4 p.m.: "Advent Workshop for Children Ages 4-12" United Methodist Church Basement (Crafts, fun activities and refreshments)
• 4 p.m.: Free holiday movie, popcorn and candy canes for children at Hollywood Theatre (sponsored by the Au Sable Forks Fire Department)
• 4-6 p.m.: "Christmas in Song/Open House" St. James Episcopal Church (Musicians from area churches are invited to come and share their musical talents in celebration of the Holy Season)
• 6 p.m.: Tree Lighting Ceremony at Town of Black Brook Clock Park, Au Sable Forks featuring the Grinch, Cindy Lou Who, Snoopy. Santa and Mrs. Claus and two very "special guests" will help light our tree this year.
• 7 p.m.: Free holiday movie, popcorn and candy canes for children (Sponsored by the Au Sable Forks Fire Department)
• 7 p.m.: Visit with Santa and Mrs. Claus at the Town of Jay Community Center (Sponsored by the Au Sable Forks Revitalization Committee)
The annual tree lighting event has drawn in crowds of approximately 400 people each year. Over the last six years, the hours of this celebration has grown into an all day event for families and children of all ages. Special thanks this year to "Thomas" the horse, who has pulled Santa's sleigh for six years now and he will retire after this year's celebration due to age.
M&M Dinner "Elves" will be on hand at the festivities to collect monetary donations for the Towns of Jay/Black Brook annual toy and food drive. All donations are appreciated and needed!
Town of Jay Supervisor, Randall Douglas (who is emcee of this event) said, "For me, this is one event I don't want to miss. The annual tree lighting is more than just a celebration, it reminds us that we must all work together to do great things! To our parishes, to our businesses, and to residents young and old, may the spirit of Christmas be with you all year long."