Brennan Kidder of Benson during a glider-pilot training exrecise at the Civil Air Patrol Glider Academy in Springfield, Vt.
Brennan W. Kidder, 18, of Benson is the kind of teenager you don’t hear much about in the news. The personable and outgoing homeschool student is a member of the Vermont Air Guard and a cadet in the U.S. Civil Air Patrol’s Rutland Composite Squadron, based at the Rutland Southern Vermont Regional Airport.
The Civil Air Patrol (CAP), an all-volunteer civilian auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, has honored Kidder with several awards that demonstrate the youth’s leadership skills and service to the local community and nation
Kidder received the following CAP accolades this year:
- Awarded CAP’s 2011 Vermont Cadet of the Year for outstanding volunteer service to nation and community.
- Awarded CAP’s Certificate of Recognition for Living Saving: Cadet Kidder responded to an incident where an improvised “Roman candle” exploded, seriously injuring one individual and causing minor injuries to a by-stander. Kidder received this award alongside his mother, 1Lt. Kathy Kidder, a senior CAP member. The cadet’s mother was also on the accident scene.
- CAP’s National Cadet Special Activities Ribbon for completion of various cadet activities and exams.
- CAP’s Amelia Earhart Award for the mastery of various cadet achievements. Earhart Award recipients are looked favorably upon by all U.S. military service academies, especially the Air Force.
- Recently, Kidder’s Rutland squadron was honored as Vermont’s Squadron of Merit for its exceptional cadet programs and overall performance.
CAP members are among the first on a disaster scene with vital site images, received via satellite, within seconds and providing relief and emergency services following natural and manmade disasters, including 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, as well as humanitarian missions along the U.S. and Mexican border.
For more information about the Civil Air Patrol in the greater Rutland area, contact Maj. Bill Godair, CAP Rutland Composite Squadron, at 802-345-8805 or e-mail email@example.com.