The Tyega Motor Boat Club was organized in 1908 and boasted a membership of 22 boating enthusiasts with M. J. Wilcox as commodore.
Meetings were held in Rothchilds Store. For the next three years regattas were held at Baldwin on July 4 and attracted over 60 boats. This was a very popular event and a special train was run from Ticonderoga to Baldwin for the event. The course was a triangular one, 2 1/2 miles long , and there were several trophy cups presented: The Commodore H. B. Moore Cup, The Tyega Club Cup, The Hartease Cup and the Rogers Rock Cup.
Some of the boats participating were the Keego, Simplex, Antogo, Lark, Winninish, Commodore Moore's Falcon, Pampero and the Shooting Star.
Launches carried spectators from Alexandria to Baldwin. Swimming, canoe and rowing races were also held and a parade of motor boats was the highlight of the day's activities.
Order of the Amaranth
Order of the Amaranth is a Masonic-affiliated women's organization founded in 1873. As was in the Order of the Eastern Star, members of the order must be 18 or older; men must be Master Masons; and women must have specific relationships with Masons, including wives, mothers, daughters, widows, sisters, nieces, aunts, and others, or have been active members of the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls or Job's Daughters International for more than three years and come recommended by a Master Mason.
Amaranth was based on Queen Christina of Sweden's court. Christina had created the Order of the Amarantha for the ladies and knights of her court. In 1860, James B. Taylor of Newark, N.J., drew upon this order to create a new fraternal society. In 1873, Rob Macoy organized Taylor's society into the Order of the Amaranth, part of a proposed Adoptive Rite of Masonery. Eastern Star was to be the first degree, and until 1921, Amaranth members were required to join Eastern Star first.
Remmelee Court #98 Order of the Amaranth was instituted in Ticonderoga in 1923 by a 30 member degree team from Plattsburgh. They enjoyed bridge parties, rummage sales and card parties. This organization had a very brief existence and after 1937 there is no mention of Amaranth meetings.
This series of articles is compliments of Ticonderoga Heritage Museum, located in the 1888 building at the entrance of Bicentennial Park.