The College of St. Joseph purchased the historic Clementwood Estate from the Sisters of St. Joseph of Rutland. The property includes a 27-acre lot, a mansion known as Clementwood Estate, a large carriage house, and three cottages. Clementwood mansion was built from 1856 to 1857.
Charles Clement, a major economic leader in the Rutland region, undertook the construction of an elaborate house representing an Italianate villa.
The estate holds an important historical association with the early development of the Rutland marble industry.
Clement gave his estate the name of Clementwood, combining his surname with the maiden name of his wife, Elizabeth Wood.
Shortly after World War II a group in Rutland purchased the estate to establish Rutland Junior College to serve veterans returning from the war.This unsuccessful venture was short lived.
In 1950 the Sisters of St. Joseph Society acquired the estate and utilized the property for the site of its novitiate.
In 1964 the estate ownership was transferred temporarily to the congregations college, CSJ, to support the development of the organization. The first floor of the mansion was converted into the college library and the upstairs served as housing for some of the sisters on staff. In the early 1980s the Clementwood estate was deeded back to the congregation and until this summer has primarily served as a residence for some members of the Sisters of St. Joseph.
The college will use the buildings on the estate for a variety of purposes to support the college mission, including administrative offices, classrooms, art studios and a seminar/meeting space. Some of the open land on the 27-acre plot will be used to support the colleges athletic and recreation programs.
As the college moves forward in developing the property, it will preserve the historic integrity of this important historical asset for the local region and Vermont. Although now lacking some of its original stylistic features, the house maintains its essential character and recognizable association with the Clement family. ??The purchase of this property has opened up a world of opportunities to accommodate the growth of the college, President Frank Miglorie said.
Once the mansion is fully restored, the college plans to hold an open house for the public to view the facility.