Essex County Board of Supervisors
Residents of Essex County will have a chance to dispose of hazardous waste in August.
The Board of Supervisors voted to add $40,000 from contingency to an existing $20,000 budgeted to hold a hazardous waste disposal day at two sites in the county.
“We are adding the $40,000 from the contingency with the $20,000 budgeted,” County Manager Dan Palmer said. “There is an overall cost of $60,000 and we will get 50 percent of that back through a state grant.”
In previous discussions, Department of Public Works Director Anthony LaVigne said that he was planning to have two sites for the disposal days, with one in North Elba where the town annually holds a day for residents to get rid of hazardous waste, and the other in Lewis.
Moriah Supervisor Tom Scozzafava said he would like to see the second site moved farther to the south.
“People from Ticonderoga, Crown Point, Schroon Lake — that is a hike, and you are trying to encourage people to get rid of their hazardous waste. They are not going to want to travel that far,” he said. “That is where the bulk of the population in the county is.”
“I am currently trying to get a permit for the North Hudson transfer site,” LaVigne responded. “It is easily accessible from the Northway and more centrally located for that area.”
Scozzafava said that he was also frustrated with the restrictions set on towns not being able to pick up hazardous waste at a local site and then transport it to one of the two main sites, as they had been able to do previously.
“They make it virtually impossible for people to do this because of the number of restrictions they place on it,” Scozzafava said. “The DEC should be working to make this as easy as possible and encouraging people to get rid of this waste.”
“We do not have the funds to put it in every community in the county,” Jay supervisor and board chairman Randy Douglas said. “North Hudson seems like a good compromise there.”
LaVigne said that he had a pair of dates in mind for the disposal days, which were Aug. 10 and Aug. 17.
“We are trying to do both sites the same day, and we are shooting for Aug. 10,” LaVigne said. “It will be based on staff, so we may also have to have one of the sites on Aug. 10 and the other on Aug. 17.”
LaVigne said that, with the county sponsorship, there would not be a fee for residents and that they would be sending out brochures with items that would be accepted before the disposal days took place.
“We are not going to take automobile batteries this year because those can go back to an auto part dealer,” LaVigne said. “There are also some new exceptions on medical waste so we are not going to take medical waste this year.”