Make the home safe by following as many of these steps as possible:
* Remove unnecessary furniture. Place remaining furniture so there's enough space for walkers or wheelchairs.
* Once the person in your care has gotten used to where the furniture is, do not change it.
* Make sure furniture will not move if it is leaned on.
* Make sure the armrests of a favorite chair are long enough to help the person get up and down.
* Have a professional carpenter install railings where a person might need extra support.
* Place masking or colored tape on glass doors and picture windows.