WESTPORT - Spring has begun, and so has the growing season. As a result, many area farmers' markets will soon begin their seasonal operations.
Many farmers' markets accept food stamps or farmers' market coupons. Be sure to check with the market manager to see what payment options are available.
Here is a list of farmers' markets available in our region:
• Elizabethtown - Located behind the Adirondack History Center Museum. Manager: Gina Agoney, 293-7877. Web site: adirondackfarmersmarket.com/etown.html. Open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays, May 14 through October 8.
• Essex - Behind the Essex town hall. Manager: Sam hendren, 834-7306. Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays, June 27 through Sept. 5.
• Keene - Marcy Airfield between Keene and Keene Valley on Route 73. Manager: Dick Crawford, 561-7167. Web site: adirondackfarmersmarket.com/keene.html. Open 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays, June 20 through Oct. 10.
• Keeseville - Across from the Keeseville Civic Center. Manager: Sam Hendren, 834-7306. Open 4-7 p.m. Fridays, June 25 through Sept. 3.
• Lake Placid - Lake Placid Center for the Arts. Manager: Sam Hendren, 834-7306. Web site: lakeplacidmarket.com. Open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays, June 23 through Oct. 13.
• Malone - Malone Airport, Route 11. Manager: Vicky Lesniak, 497-0083. Web site: adirondackfarmersmarket.com/malone.html. Open noon to 4:30 p.m. Wednesdays, June 16 through Oct. 13.
• Paul Smith's College - Corner of NYS Rt. 86 and 30. Manager: Ellen Beberman, 891-7470. Open 2-5 p.m. Fridays, June 18 through Sept. 24.
• Plattsburgh - Pavilion downtown by Bridge, Durkee and Broad Streets. Manager: Pat Parker, 493-6761. Web site: plattsburghfarmersandcraftersmarket.com. Open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, May 9 through Oct. 10, 2009 and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays, June 24 through Sept. 30, 2009.
• Saranac Lake - Lake Flour Bakery, Corner of River and St. Bernard Streets. Manager: Nancy Moriarty, 891-7194. Web site: adirondackfarmersmarket.com/saranaclake.html. Open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays, June 1 through Sept. 28.
• Saranac Lake Village - Riverside Park. Manager Sam Hendren, 834-7306. Web site: saranaclakevillagefarmersmarket.com. Open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, June 5 through Oct. 16, 2010.
• Tupper Lake - Wild Center Museum, under the white tent. Manager: Ellen Beberman, 891-7470. Open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursdays, June 3 through Sept. 30.
• Wadhams - Corner of NYS Rt. 22 and Co. Rt. 10. Managers: Bruce and Bridgette Misarski, 962-4392. Open Saturdays, dates and times to be determined.
• Willsboro - Located across from the old Mountain View restaurant on Rt.22. Manager: Linda Therrien, 963-4383. Web site: adirondackfarmersmarket.com. Open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays, June 10 through Sept. 9, 2009.
For a complete list of farmers' markets in the North Country, visit www.adirondackharvest.com