Shirt factory to reopen
The Warrensburg Shirt Factory is expected to be in operation by May 1, 1959. The building, owned by Albert L. Emerson, will be leased and the business of manufacturing high quality men's shirts will operate under the title of Warrensburg Manufacturing Company. The new owners are represented by H.L. Feiner & Associates. The factory has been shut down since June of 1958 and this has been a blow to the local economy. The final papers were signed April 2, 1959 and the building is the scene of great activity as workmen, under the direction of manager Wilmer Knorr, prepare to receive a large shipment of new machinery. Warrensburg citizens and businesses strongly support the venture and there is a drive on to raise $1,500 to install storm windows on the factory building which is part of the deal. Chamber of Commerce President Fred DeVries has worked tirelessly to see the factory reopened.
(The shirt factory later became the dress factory, which hosted the famed Outlet Barn factory outlet retail store on the first floor - shoppers could routinely hear the whirr of the local seamstresses at work upstairs on their sewing machines as they shopped. The Outlet Barn, considered one of the early trendsetters for factory outlet shopping, lasted about a quarter-century, long after the dress factory closed and was replaced years later upstairs by Donna Emerson's Dance Studio and an exercise facility and an artist's studio. When the Outlet Barn closed down, the first floor hosted an auction house for several years. It was was vacant for a long time afterward before its extensive rehabilitation into River Street Plaza beginning last year.)
Warrensburg leader dies
Impressive funeral services were held In Warrensburg for Wyman D. Pasco, a local bank official, businessman and notable civic leader who died April 2, 1959 in West Palm Beach, Fla. The funeral was one of the largest the town has ever seen. At the Orton and McCloskey Funeral Home, his funeral was attended by many friends and representatives of nearly every governmental and civic body in the area. Presiding was the Rev. William E. Montgomery.
Wyman Pasco was born in Warrensburgh Dec. 30, 1890, the son of the late Delbert and Sarah "Abbie" Magee Pasco. He graduated from the old Warrensburgh Academy in 1910 and than he taught school for a term in Stony Creek. He married Lenita Mills in 1912 and entered the hardware, grain and automobile business with his father and brother Walter H. Pasco, the firm being known as D.E. Pasco and Sons. (Today the Pasco store on River St. is known as Curtis Lumber.)
Wyman D. Pasco was an Assessor and Justice of the Peace. He was appointed Supervisor of Warrensburgh in June, 1931 following the death of Supervisor Frank W. Smith, who died in a fire. Mr. Pasco's wife died in 1954 and he is survived by a son and three daughters.
Countryman family news
John R. Countryman was elected as a director of the Emerson National Bank. Albert L. Emerson is president. Mr. Countryman will fill the post made vacant by the death of Wyman D. Pasco. He first came to the bank July 1, 1952.
Polly Countryman, daughter of John R. Countryman, was a 1958 graduate of Warrensburg Central School. She is a freshman student nurse at Keuka College and received her nurse's cap at a candlelight ceremony April 25, 1959 in the college auditorium along with 40 other students.
Fall results in broken hip
Addie K. White, 86, who lives alone on Third Ave., Warrensburg, suffered a fall in her kitchen at 10 p.m. April 5, 1959, which resulted in a fractured hip. Unable to reach the phone to call her niece, Francis Saville, she was forced to lay there until 7 a.m. the next morning when Bertha Smith, Bill Potter, Erwin and Betty Gates were forced to break into her locked house. She was rushed by ambulance to the Glens Falls Hospital where she underwent surgery.
Giles Jennings, 16, Henry Rounds, 14, both of Athol and Burton L. Bills, 17, of Stony Creek, all were test-driving a used car owned by Maltbie's Garage when it skidded in heavy rain and overturned on state Rte. 9, north of Warrensburg. All three are in the Glens Falls Hospital.
Mike's Diner, a popular eating place at 56 Main St., Warrensburg, will be taken over by Robert Moulton and Leah Johnson. The diner will be open 24 hours a day.
Sigmund "Sig" Wachter, a representative of the Glens Falls daily newspaper, celebrated his 84th birthday.
Rexford Reynolds and his wife, the former Jean Burdick of Warrensburg are the parents of a son, Rexford C. Reynolds III, born March 25, 1959 in the Glens Falls Hospital. The couple also has four other children. (Rex is now a teacher at Warrensburg Central, and Rex V was born not too long ago.)
Clayton Colvin Griswold, 81, who conducted a watch repair business in Pottersville for many years, died March 30, 1959 at his home after a short illness.
William D. Combs, 89, died March 29, 1959 at the Glens Falls Hospital. He was the father of Mrs. Vernis Fish and Mrs. Harry Wadsworth, both of Warrensburg, and three grandchildren.
C. Walton "Buck" Stone was installed as chief of the Warrensburg Volunteer Fire Co. April 10, 1959. Other officers include Ed Hunter, Don Brown, Edwin Frye Jr., Murray Pratt and Dick Kline.
Ellan Ada Tracey of The Glen and Albert Colvin Martin of Glens Falls were married March 22, 1959. The couple will reside at The Glen.
Lorraine Ladd of Warrensburg and Erwin Dalaba of Tahawus were married March 28, 1959 in the Methodist Church, Warrensburg.
Miss Joyce Mae Needham of Warrensburg and Ernest George Chesney of Corinth were married April 18, 1959 in Connecticut. The bride was a former inspector for the Warrenshire Manufacturing Co., Warrensburg's "shirt factory"on River St.
Looking Back: It was just 47 years ago, April 24, 1962 that the name of the Town of Caldwell was changed to Lake George. Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at jhadden1nycap.rr.com or 623-2210.