* Check to be sure that the fresh fruits and vegetables you buy are not bruised or damaged
* Check that fresh cut fruits and vegetables like packaged salads and precut melons are refrigerated at the store before buying. Do not buy fresh cut items that are not refrigerated.
* Wash hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after handling fresh fruits and vegetables.
* Clean all surfaces and utensils with hot water and soap.
* Rinse fresh fruits and veg. under running tap water, including those with skins and rinds that are not eaten.
* Never use detergent or bleach to wash fresh fruits or vegetables. These products are not intended for consumption.
* When shopping, and in your refrigerator, be sure fresh fruits and veg. are separated from household chemicals and raw foods.
* Cook or throw away fruits or veg. That have touched raw meat, poultry, seafood or their juices.
* Refrigerate all cut, peeled or cooked fresh fruits and veg. Within two hours.
* Throw away fresh fruits and veg. that have not been refrigerated within two hours of cutting peeling or cooking. When in doubt, throw it out!