* Wash your hands with hot soapy water before and after handling food and after using the bathroom, changing diapers and handling pets.
* Wash your cutting boards, dishes, utensils, and counter tops with hot soapy water after preparing each food item and before you go to the next food.
* Once cutting boards (including plastic, non-porous, acrylic and wooden boards) become excessively worn or develop hard-to-clean grooves, you should replace them.
* Rinse raw produce in water. Don't use soap or other detergents. If necessary - and appropriate - use a small vegetable brush to remove surface dirt.
* Separate raw meat, poultry and seafood from other foods in your grocery-shopping cart and in your refrigerator. If possible, use a different cutting board for raw meat products.