The Ticonderoga Garden Club was organized in 1914 to improve the library and the Odd Fellows grounds. Warren Morse aided the garden club in these efforts.
The Ti Sentinel had a lengthy article in 1916 telling of the disgust and discouragement of the garden club concerning the care of the library grounds that they had landscaped. Careless adults were blamed for papers, litter and cigarette boxes. There seemed to be a general lack of cooperation by the community as a whole.
Flower and vegetable shows were staged and fund raisers were planned to raise monies for landscaping.
Mrs. S.H. Pell was president with Mrs. W.W. Richards, Mrs. Stephen Potter, Mrs. C. Bennett and Mrs. M.H. Turner serving as her officers. Dues were 50 cents. During the 1930s and 40s flower shows were staged, the library was decorated for Christmas, Victory Gardens were planted and the fight against the tent caterpillar began.
The Ticonderoga Garden Club enjoyed a rebirth as the Carillon Garden Club in 1974. The objectives of the club are similar to those of its predecessor: to promote interest in gardening, aid in the protection and conservation of natural resources, protect civic beauty and to study and advance the fine arts of gardening, landscape design, floral design and horticulture.
The club is currently affiliated with the National Garden Clubs Inc. and the Federated Garden Club of New York District IV.
Each year the Carillon Garden Club promotes beauty by planting flower boxes and maintaining area gardens in Ticonderoga and Hague.
Some of the more extensive projects over the past years have been landscaping the Black Watch Library, planting the locust trees that line upper Montcalm Street, landscaping the Hague Community Center, planting flowering crab trees at the fire house and at the intersection of Montcalm and Champlain Avenue, a Christmas tree on the lawn of the Community Building, disease-resistant elms behind the Hancock House, erecting entrance signs and planting gardens at three entrances to our town, a freedom maple in Hague and extensive plantings for the hospital, Ticonderoga Heritage Museum and North Country Community College.
New members are encouraged to join and share in the projects, the informative meetings and fellowship with other gardeners.
This series of articles is compliments of Ticonderoga Heritage Museum, located in the 1888 building at the entrance of Bicentennial Park.