The funeral of Mary Gates, widow of James Gates of Minerva, took place on Saturday, Nov. 20, 1909 and internment was in the Irishtown Cemetery.
Mary Gates had been taken with a shock (a stroke) and was in a helpless condition. Her attendant left her alone for a few minutes and upon returning found her bed to be on fire. The patient was so badly burned that she lived but for a few minutes. It is supposed that the bed was set afire from a smoking pipe as there was one found in the room.
James Gates, her husband, was also killed at the time their house burned a few years back.