Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Lowe assembled 18 girls from Savannah, Ga., on March 12, 1912, for a local Girl Scout meeting. She believed that all girls should be given the opportunity to develop physically, mentally and spiritually. With the goal of bringing girls out of isolated home environments and into community service and the open air, Girl Scouts hiked, played basketball, went on camping trips, learned how to tell time by the stars, and studied first aid.
Within a few years, Daisy's dream for a girl centered organization was realized. Today Girl Scouts of the USA has a membership of nearly four million girls and adults, a significant growth from its modest beginnings nearly a century ago. In fact more than 50 million women in the U.S. today are Girl Scout alumnae.
Girl Scouting began in Ticonderoga October 1921 when Mrs. F.A. Higgins asked Mrs. Bromley, leader of the Glens Falls Council, to assist her and her committee of 25 members with the task of organizing a troop. The Ticonderoga Troop committee held their first Court of Awards on Feb. 23. 1922. Mr R.C.Burdick, superintendent of schools, presented badges to 14 second class scouts and one tenderfoot scout. Presented were 9 cooking badges, 4 health badges, 3 scholarship badges, and 1 community service pin. At this time Mrs. W. B. Simpkins was chairman. Community service was started in 1923 by scouts washing windows at The Black Watch Library and a flag was presented to the local hospital.
In 1928 (depression period) a Christmas party was organized for underprivileged children by the Girl Scouts, with gifts of clothing and toys brought by the scouts.
By 1930, there were 62 girls enrolled in scouting.
Reading over the secretary's reports since 1921, one finds ladies dedicated to the task of helping girls acquire the skills and ideals of Girl Scouting in the area. Many familiar names are in the reports. Miss. LaFleur (Mrs. Gaysur) for many years was leader. In 1941 Ticonderoga was fortunate to have Mrs. Kenneth Shults make her home here. Mrs. Shults had been in scouting previously in the Gloversville area, and continued her interest here until 1965, when she and her family moved back to Gloversville.
In 1962, the Ticonderoga Girl Scouts met the trains in Port Henry, when Girl Scouts from all over the country arrived for the Round Up at Button Bay, Vt. The Ti Girl Scouts were also hostesses , at the Round Up, at the Fort Ticonderoga display. They wore authentic costumes from the fort. At that time we were a "Lone Troop." In 1963 we became part of the Adirondack Girl Scout Council.
Always looking toward the future. Ticonderoga Girl Scouts are very active today. Recently they have enjoyed a "kidnapped" breakfast prepared by Bill Westervelt and Bob Bartlett, a special evening with the residents of Inter-Lakes Nursing Home, and a plunge at Moriah Pool with scouts from Moriah and Schroon Lake. Don't forget the annual cookie sale when a Girl Scout knocks on your door.
This series of articles is compliments of Ticonderoga Heritage Museum, located in the 1888 building at the entrance of Bicentennial Park.