Lori Ross of Hague will participate in the Avon Walk Fort Breast Cancer in Washington, D.C., May 5 and 6. It’s a 39-mile trek around the city. This will be her third time taking part in the walk.
A Hague woman is preparing to walk nearly 40 miles to raise money and awareness for the fight against breast cancer.
Lori Ross of Hague will participate in the Avon Walk For Breast Cancer in Washington, D.C., May 5 and 6. It’s a 39-mile trek around the city. The course will conclude the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and the White House.
“This will be the third time I have participated in the Avon Walk For Breast Cancer,” Ross said. “Not only is it a wonderful way to create awareness and support the many services and programs the walk benefits, but a way to do my part in finding a cure. So many people, their lives, and their families are affected by breast cancer.”
Ross has been training by walking throughout the area.
“I walk because I can, for those who cannot walk themselves,” she said.
Ross must raise $1,800 to take part in the walk. She’s seeking the support of friends and neighbors.
“Your support and donations would greatly be appreciated,” Ross said. “Anything amount will help reach my goal and assistance with this fundraiser.”
To make a donation go online at www.avonwalk.org, select Donate Now, then type in Lori Ross under find participant. People can also contact Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org to make a donation or for more information.
“An average 80 percent of net funds raised by an Avon Walk stay in the general area of the country where the event takes place,” Ross noted. “The remaining 20 percent helps ensure that care programs are available in all 50 states, as well as national research programs, have adequate funding to make the most progress possible in the fight against breast cancer.”
Ross said the statistics on breast cancer are staggering. She pointed out:
— a woman has a 1 in 8 chance of developing breast cancer in her lifetime;
— every 3 minutes, there is a new diagnosis of invasive breast cancer;
— approximately 230,480 women and 2,140 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year;
— every 13 minutes, a life is lost to breast cancer;
— 39,520 women and 450 men in the U.S. will die from the disease annually;
— the National Cancer Institute estimates that approximately 2.6 million U.S. women with a history of breast cancer are living today, more than half of whom were diagnosed less than 10 years earlier. Most of these individuals were cancer-free, while others still had evidence of cancer and may still be undergoing treatment;
— there are more than 250,000 women under the age of 40 in the U.S living with breast cancer, and over 11,000 will be diagnosed this year;
— White, non-Hispanic women are more likely to develop breast cancer but African-American women are more likely to die from it;
— breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among Hispanic women;
— men get breast cancer too. Survival for men with breast cancer is similar to survival for women, when their stage of diagnosis is the same;
— men at any age may develop breast cancer, but it is usually found in men between 60 and 70 years of age. Male breast cancer makes up less than 1 percent of all cases of breast cancer; and
— male breast cancer is sometimes caused by inherited gene mutations, and a family history of breast cancer can increase a man’s risk.
Ross stressed early detection of the disease saves lives. She urged people to get regular health exams and to get more information by going online at www.avonwalk.org.