CHESTERTOWN Buildings in town that for many decades have been silent monuments to the prevailing culture of the times have a new way to express their historical significance. Historical house markers will soon be visible on the front of some of the older buildings due to a program launched this Spring by the Historical Society of the Town of Chester. The Society has begun presenting the markers to owners of selected homes and businesses, according to Society vice president Cathie Little. We want to recognize the history and heritage of our town, she said. The requirements to receive a marker are that the building be well cared for and have historical significance. The markers were made by Paul Matson of Garnet Signs in Chestertown. This years recipients are Ruth McDowell, Mildred Frasier, Mark Carpenter, Vin McCann for The Wells House and Sharon Sauer for the Pottersville United Methodist Church. McDowells home is a Sears Roebuck Catalog house and was built in about 1945. A few doors down the street is Frasiers home that was built by S. L. Goodman in 1851. Carpenters was built in 1844, and owned by the Faxon family from 1891 until 1972 when it was purchased by the Carpenter family. The Wells House Hotel, built by John B. Wells in 1845, has now been beautifully restored. The Pottersville United Methodist Church was built c. 1847 and is still an active church. Those interested in having a Historical House marker for their building can send supporting information and documentation to: The Historical Society of the Town of Chester, Municipal Center, Main Street, Chestertown, NY 12817.