The 90th anniversary celebration of the Au Sable Forks Knights of Columbus Council was celebrated, from left, by the Most Rev. Bishop Terry R. LaValley; Michael Fitzsimmons and Gilbert Patenaude, of Council 2301; honoree Leonard Snow; James Smith, State Logistics Chairman, and Rev. Kris Lauzon, Council 2301 Chaplain.
Au Sable Forks Knights of Columbus Council 2301 recently celebrated the 90th anniversary of its formation with a day of celebration.
The Most Rev. Terry R. LaValley presided at the anniversary Mass and State Advocate Michael Stephany presented a proclamation on behalf of the New York State Knights of Columbus.
The Au Sable Council also took the occasion to honor longtime member Leonard Snow, who will be 100 years old Sept. 14, 2011. Snow has been a member of the Au Sable Forks Council since 1945.
Council 2301 was formed in 1921 thanks to the leadership of men from Plattsburgh Council 255 and Port Henry Council 384. In July 1921, 96 men became members and, on Aug. 1, 1921, they voted to purchase the Old Presbyterian Church building on the corner of Main Street and Church Lane, the location of today’s Holy Name Church. Fifty-dollar bonds purchased by the members financed the purchase. The council home remained at this location until 1929 when it was moved to Pleasant Street. Today, the council meets in Holy Name School and strives to serve the school, parish and community.