Mass at St. Mary’s Oratory in the hamlet of Irishtown.
On Memorial Day, May 28, 2012, 48 people joined Father Richard Sturtz as he celebrated Mass at St. Mary’s Oratory in the hamlet of Irishtown.
During the Mass, Clifford Coyle assisted Father Sturtz on the altar, Laura West did the readings, Bob Savarie and Mike McSweeney took up the collection, and Barbara Repp presented the gifts to the altar.
A six-person choir led by Mike Leddick on guitar included Bill Brannon Rita Leddick, Betty LeMay, David McNally, and Geraldine Plumley.
Following the Mass, refreshments prepared by Betty LeMay were served.
Father Sturtz extended the grateful appreciation of the entire congregation to a number of St. Joseph Church parishioners who volunteer their time and talent to the preservation of St. Mary’s oratory and cemetery. Bill and Ellen Brannon worked tirelessly to ensure the oratory was clean and decorated beautifully for Memorial Day with fresh-cut daisies and geraniums adorning the altar. Dan McGee was commended for his dedicated work in doing ongoing repairs to the oratory and Tom Grace was thanked for the beautiful way he keeps the cemetery mowed.
St. Mary’s Oratory was originally built in 1848 and was used regularly until the larger St. Joseph's Catholic Church was built in Olmstedville in 1871.