The annual Museum Store is returning this holiday season. The store, located at the Hancock House, will be open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2, and Saturday, Dec. 3. Participating museums will be the Ticonderoga Historical Society, Fort Ticonderoga, Ticonderoga Arts and the Ticonderoga Heritage Museum. Each will offer a variety of items from their gift shops for sale.
The annual Museum Store is returning this holiday season.
The store, located at the Hancock House, will be open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2, and Saturday, Dec. 3.
Participating museums will be the Ticonderoga Historical Society, Fort Ticonderoga, Ticonderoga Arts and the Ticonderoga Heritage Museum. Each will offer a variety of items from their gift shops for sale.
The community’s industrial history is on display at the Ticonderoga Heritage Museum. Commonly called the “1888 Building” the museum is housed in the only remaining structure of the old Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper mill that once sprawled across most of the lower section of the town.
Today the museum hosts an Adirondack gift shop and displays exhibits on the 200-year history of industries that built the town.
The two primary exhibits center on Ticonderoga’s papermaking industry and the graphite used in the Dixon Ticonderoga pencils. There are also exhibits on early tools, toys and games. There are plans for a major exhibit on waterpower, family interactive programs and exhibits, and a series of temporary exhibits on major industries and inventions.
The 1888 Building is an exhibit in itself. It was once headquarters to the International Paper Co. mill that operated along the adjacent LaChute River. When IP moved its mill a few miles north of the hamlet, the building was given to the town. The museum board leases the building. In the past few years the building has received a $100,000 facelift and there are ongoing plans for further improvements.
Ticonderoga Arts is located at the Hancock House. The Ticonderoga Arts Gallery is open Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The contact person is Jerry Cooper at 585-2640.
Fort Ticonderoga, site of America’s first victory in the Revolutionary War, is now one of the region’s top tourist attractions.
The fort, which features a restored 18th century fort and a museum with more than 30,000 artifacts, drew more than 86,000 visitors last summer.
The 2,000-acre not-for-profit historic site also includes the Log House Restaurant and Museum Store, the Thompson-Pell Research Center that houses the administrative offices and the research library with over 13,000 rare books and manuscripts, the Pavilion, which is slated for future restoration, and the King’s Garden at Fort Ticonderoga, the 18th-century garrison garden, a children’s garden and the Native American garden.
The Hancock House, which serves as home to the Ticonderoga Historical Society, was a gift to The New York State Historical Association from native son and philanthropist Horace Moses.
Located at the Liberty Monument at the intersection of Wicker and Montcalm streets, is also home to several exhibits highlighting community history.
The Hancock House Museum and Research Library was dedicated in 1926. The Ticonderoga Historical Society today manages this elegant structure as a regional museum and reference library. There are interesting and exciting exhibits on all four floors of the Hancock House. The modern library houses a large collection of regional material on civic, social and economic elements and also has one of the largest collections of genealogical resource materials in the region.