'Old Moll' drunk on pond water
Viele Pond (Harrington Hill) water has a reputation for causing flat chests to swell and round; for turning sour stomachs into bay windows of health and for putting dyspepsia over the dump.
Will Straight's horse, "Old Moll," a quiet unsuspecting beast of well-rounded proportions, known all over Warrensburgh as "a woman's horse," was taken there recently for a drink and got rompish in a hurry, struck a grand circuit gait and took off to her stall in the barn at home showing speed never seen in her before.
The next day she was staid and solemn as usual in the pursuit of her quiet every day existence.
(Note... William H. Straight owned a Warrensburg mercantile establishment which sold groceries, hardware and crockery.)
House fire at Adirondack
Mrs. Town's house caught fire at Adirondack from an overflow of oil in her oil stove. After burning considerable wood work the blaze was extinguished by the heroic efforts of Henry Gilpatrick, who was summoned by the constant ringing of Mrs. Well's dinner bell. If not for his prompt assistance, the house would have been in ruins. Mr. Gilpatrick had one side of his face quite badly burned.
Lingering effects of drought
This year Warren County and vicinity has experienced one of the most severe droughts that have been seen in a very long time. The long-continued dry spell has left little water in the streams and many wells have run dry. We now have some snow on the ground and hope for an old fashioned "January thaw."
The tax rate in the town of Hague for the ending of the year 1908 is the highest ever known since the war, so the older folks say, it being three cents on the dollar.
State buys forest land
Eleven thousand acres of finely wooded lands in the Adirondacks were bought by the state forest purchasing board of William Harris, of Northville, for the uniform price of $6.75 an acre. The lands are scattered tracts in Hamilton and Warren counties and mostly lie surrounded by state lands.
New Thurman-to-Warrensburgh roadway
Clarence Russell, who resides on Henry Griffing's farm a short distance above the Thurman railroad station, has broken out a road from his place across the river to a point near the residence of Ben Glynn (now Warrensburg Fish Hatchery) where it joins the road passing over the hill and by the west end of Bond's Pond (now Echo Lake), coming out on Hudson Street above the cemetery. This makes a short cut and after it is traveled over a little more the road will be much better than the regular route.
Bridge in the way
We are enjoying fine sleighing. Saturday night, a party of Warrensburgh coasters on Osborne Hill, as they started to cross Osborne Bridge, struck the iron framework and all were badly shaken up. Miss Flossie Baker sustained a severe cut on her head which required a surgeon's attention. Jesse Ingraham came out of the mix up with quite an assortment of black ad blue spots scattered about his person.
Popular local man dies
Flavel B. Coolidge, 60, a most respected businessman of Glens Falls, died Dec. 7, 1908 in a Montreal hospital, where he had been a patient for three weeks, of Bright's disease.
He was born on Coolidge Hill in Bolton, June of 1848, the son of Jonathan and Mary Coolidge. He had been a resident of Glens Falls for forty years. His widow, the former Cynthia Seeyle, survives him. He was the cousin of Mrs. Myron N. Dickinson, of Warrensburgh (lived next door south of the post office). The funeral was held at his home in Glens Falls.
High mass was celebrated at St. Cecilias Church on Christmas day by the pastor, Rev. Father Livingstone. The choir was under the direction of John L. Tubbs, with Miss Stelia Collins as organist.
Edward W. Griggs, of Glens Falls, who assumes the office of County Superintendent of the Poor on Jan. 1, 1909, has appointed D.C. Remington, of Warrensburgh, keeper of the county home in this town.
A party of Warrensburgh young people enjoyed a sleigh ride to Chestertown and attended the Odd Fellows' ball at the Rising House there.
Carmi Wright, of Sandy Hill (now Hudson Falls) drove his wagon to Warrensburgh on Christmas day with a load of hay which he brought to his son, William Wright, as a Christmas gift.
After a long career of usefulness, one of John H. Pasco's well known team of horses died the last week of December. For fifteen years the animal had been a source of comfort and profit to his owner.
Boney McCabe, of Indian Lake, is in town staying at the Grand Army House. (The hotel stood where George Henry's tavern is now located.)
North Warrensburgh extras
Postmaster Robert Murray now owns a well-behaved, good-natured bull terrier by the name of Don, and the animal seems to fit in well in the place of Fritz, the late post office watch dog.
Dr. John M. Griffin moved from Walter Pasco's house, corner of Main Street and Mountain Ave., Warrensburgh, into Dr. Aldrich's house on Mountain Avenue, which he bought from A.T. Kellogg. The house was built as a doctor's residence.
Charles A. McElroy was painting a house on Ridge St. Warrensburgh, owned by Philetus Smith, of Horicon. The ladder gave way causing him to fall a considerable distance. He was seriously cut and bruised, a large gash being inflicted over his right eye. Dr. Cunningham was called to patch him up.
Mr. and Mrs. George Holmes, of Winthrop, had buckwheat cakes for breakfast and a few hours later both were taken seriously ill. Mrs. Holmes is improving but Mr. Holmes' recovery is regarded doubtful. The cakes were made from flour that had been in the house for over a year and was apparently poisonous.
While drawing a huge pine log, the sleigh slewed and threw Charles H. Smith, of Athol, off the load breaking his right arm at the elbow. He had just begun a large lumber job.
Mrs. Alvin Winslow, 50, wife of ex-supervisor Winslow of Stony Creek, died Dec. 17, 1908 of heart failure. She was the mother of Mrs. Halsey Fuller and Mrs. R.E. Rooney.
Gertie Owen is employed at the Ordway Hotel, North River. There was a phonograph entertainment at the home of Lyman Russell in West Thurman.
The population of Chestertown has been increased by three new arrivals from baby land. A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Bert Harvey, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Wright and a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Donovan.
W.F. Woodward, who has recently moved three cottages on the old Lake House grounds, Lake George, is at present engaged in moving a barn at Tea Island Bay for George Foster Peabody.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210