An unusually cold January is predicted. Fred Harrington, the local ice dealer, is filling the ice house at the county home.
The dangerous, highly infectious foot-and-mouth disease is raging among cattle, sheep and swine in this area and in New York State. Affected animals are being destroyed in large numbers at great cost to farmers.
Little Nell bolts for home, strands driver
Haskell Brothers' delivery horse, "Little Nell," made a home run from near the Osborne Bridge. A combination of boys and snow balls disturbed her usual quiet peace of mind and she took French leave of her driver, Dennie Logans, while he was transporting groceries from the sleigh to a house, leaving him to hoof it back to the store. Dennie is said to have not been pleased.
Pruyn's will probated
The will of the late industrialist, Samuel Pruyn, who died Dec. 24, 1908 at his home in Glens Falls, was admitted into probate by Surrogate Kiley. The instrument leaves the large estate to the widow, Mrs. Eliza Jane Pruyn, to be held in trust, and upon her death to be held in trust for the daughters, Mrs. Charlotte Hyde, Mrs. Mary Hoopes and Miss Nell K. Pruyn. Two grandchildren, Mary Van Ness Hyde and Samuel Pruyn Hoopes are also made beneficiaries. The will leaves the Pruyn home at the corner of Elm and Cross streets to the widow during her lifetime and after her death it reverts back to the estate. The sum of $3,000, to be paid within three months, was also left to Mrs. Pruyn. Son-in-law Maurice Hoopes and Louis M. Brown are named as executors.
(Note...Samuel Pruyn, co-owner of Finch, Pruyn & Company paper company, founded in 1865, built the Savoy apartment complex in downtown Glens Falls, on the corner of Elm and Exchange streets, across Elm Street from his home, a century ago. An amazing building with a design far beyond its time, it was recently a part of the annual Glens Falls Symphony-Chapman Museum House Tour which was conducted Dec. 7, a fitting tribute to a great man who has been in his grave for 100 years. It was disclosed two years after Pruyn's death that his estate was valued at $2 million.
Prominent jeweler dies
Abial Burdick Stackhouse, 50, died Dec. 15, 1908 at his home on Woodward Ave. Warrensburgh after a long illness of lung trouble. He had been confined to his home for a year.
He was born in Johnsburgh on June 20, 1859 and later learned the watchmaker's and jeweler's trade at Wevertown. He went to North Adams, Mass in 1887 to further his education at the large Patten & Co. store. He came to Warrensburgh in 1893 and opened his store here which was very successful. He repaired jewelry, watches, clocks, eyeglasses and spectacles and china bric-a-brac. Known as "Stackhouse, the jeweler", he sold diamonds, silverware and cut glass. His motto was, "Be wise; spend your money with a man who has good goods; who, when he does work, does it promptly, and when he sells you any article does not misrepresent it in order to draw money out of your pocket."
He married Miss Cora B. Farrar, a daughter of the late Hartwell S. Farrar, in 1896. His body laid in state at the Warrensburgh Baptist Church and the funeral was largely attended.
(Note... Cora Stackhouse survived her husband and later married a "Mr. Palmer." She died in 1944 and was laid to rest on the old east side of the Warrensburgh Cemetery beside her first husband, Abial Stackhouse).
The Hon. Lewis W. Emerson was a guest at a dinner given Vice President-Elect James S. Sherman in New York City.
The first straw ride of the season was enjoyed by about 20 young people Friday evening who went to the home of Miss May Ormsby, near the village reservoir, on Harrington Hill.
Harry Barber of Broadalbin, a theological student, has been selling Bibles in Warrensburgh for days with great success. He went home to spend Christmas with his mother.
The ell at the rear of Crandall's blacksmith shop on King Street has been raised a story and new chimneys have been built in the paint shop, which will probably be occupied by John Burt.
Walter G. Lane has moved into the house on Warren St. which he recently purchased from the Simon Langworthy estate. George N. Lane, the local D&H freight agent, lost his equilibrium on the ice and dislocated his right shoulder.
Arthur Morrison of North Warrensburgh, attended the funeral of Edward Morrison Jr., 28, which was held at Sandy Hill (Hudson Falls). The boy died after undergoing an operation for appendicitis. He was the son of Edward Morrison, of Warrensburgh.
Gala local parties
Mrs. James A. Emerson gave a card party Tuesday evening, Dec. 29, 1908 in honor of her cousin, Miss Rhoda White, of Champlain, who is a vivacious and lively young lady, a student of Cornell University, and a guest of Mrs. Emerson. (Note...Margaret MacGregor Emerson, who married Jim Emerson in 1899, lived in the house on Main St. that today is the Emerson House Bed & Breakfast.
Louie Tubbs, the winsome little daughter of Warrensburgh News editor John L. Tubbs, on Dec. 30, 1908, celebrated her fourth birthday anniversary and entertained several little tots of her own age in honor of the event. (Note...Margaret Louise Tubbs went on to become a music teacher in the Warrensburgh High School. In 1978 her popular book, "Legacy to Warrensburg." was published. I find it amusing that she celebrated her fourth birthday in 1908 while she says in her book that she was born in 1909. She died in 1975.)
Down the stovepipe hole
The two-year-old son of Fenwick Evans, who lives over Finch-Pruyn's feed store in Glens Falls, fell 20 feet through a stovepipe hole from the second to the first floor. He landed on a cement floor and escaped without a scratch.
Charles Vanderwarker of Chestertown had the third and little fingers of his right hand cut off while working on a gasoline-power sawing machine at South Horicon.
William Boyce of Glens Falls is employed in mill of the Union Bag and Paper Company, Sandy Hill (Hudson Falls). He was standing on a ladder, from which he fell a distance of six feet, striking his head and being rendered unconscious. It took three stitches to close the deep cut on his scalp.
Tracks of six or seven wolves were seen near Salmon Pond chasing a deer. The deer was entirely eaten up and another deer was entirely consumed in the night at Moose Creek.
The Wm. H. Frear & Co.'s store is selling men's handsome cub bear coats for $15.90.
John DeMarsh, 46, was found dead Dec. 19, 1908, in his saloon about two miles from North Creek. He was a bachelor and lived alone in his place of business. The coroner found that heart failure was the cause of death. He was buried in the Freewill Baptist Church Cemetery at North Creek.
Abraham Frasier and Miss Edith Brown, both of Chestertown, were married Dec. 18, 1908 by the Rev. G.W. Campbell at the Baptist parsonage in Horicon.
Miss Mary J. Shaw and Oliver Bates Lockhart, both of Lake George, were married Dec. 16, 1908 at the Glens Falls Presbyterian manse by the Rev. Dr. Daniel Hoffman Martin. They will honeymoon at Dobbs Ferry.
Thought for the day; "Now they've all growed up an' gone, an', with Christmas comin' on, 'pears t' me the house is jest stillest-like an' lonesomest house a body ever see!- Nothin' but the clock an' me!" John D. Wells
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210