LAKE PLACIDWhen the smoke finally cleared over the Village of Lake Placid, it was the Purple Turtle Catering Company who came away with the title of Lake Placid, N.Y.I Love Barbeque Festival grand champion. The Norwalk, Conn. team, who finished third last year, competed against a 36-team field that featured barbecuers from Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont and Vancouver, Canada.
There were a lot of great teams out there and its really special to win this festival, said pit boss, Greg Hunter. This is a great event and everyone should compete here at least once. The organizers run a great event, its a great venue and a great town and I want to come back forever.
Not only did the Purple Turtle Catering Company win the ILBBQF grand championship crown and $1,500, but they also came away with the New York State championship title, which will allow them to cook and compete in the Oct. 4-7 28th Annual American Royal Barbecue Festival in Kansas City, Mo.
Last years grand champion, I Smell Smoke of Walden, Mass., finished in second place, while the Free State Smokers of Laurel, Md., were third.
The second annual ILBBQF began Friday night, June 29, on the Olympic speedskating oval with the High Peaks Ford Midnight Grillin Bash won by Lunchmeat of Rockland, Mass., while the Lost Nation Smoke Company of Essex Junction, Vt. took first place in Saturdays, June 30, the Buck-a-Rib, Peoples Choice Award competition. Visitors to the ILBBQF enjoyed more than 4,000 pork ribs and cast more than 1,500 ballots.
Proceeds from the second annual ILBBQF will once again benefit the Shipman Youth Center of Lake Placid, a not-for-profit community organization, which provides support to area youth, ages 10-18.
Thomas Shipman, a Lake Placid police officer whose life was cut short in 1999, inspired the center, which the festival will benefit. For the past seven years, the Shipman Youth Center has provided a supervised safe and exciting environment and programs where local children can grow and develop as individuals.
1. Purple Turtle Catering Company (Norwalk, Conn.) 664.3714 points
2. I Smell Smoke (Walden, Mass.) 662.8374
3. Free State Smokers (Laurel, Mass.) 649.7148
4. Q Haven (Norwich, Conn.) 643.7142
5. I Que (Hopkinton, Mass.) 643.1430
6.Dirty Dick & the Legless Wonders (Norwell, Mass.) 641.7142
1. Free State Smokers (Laurel, Mass.) 174.8372 points
2. I Smell Smoke (Walden, Mass.) 168.3714
3. Beef Rubbers (Waxahachie, Texas) 166.8372
4. Q Wanna Bees (Monson, Mass.) 166.2836
5.Purple Turtle Catering Company (Norwalk, Mass.) 165.7142
6. Mas Que Crew (Lake Grove, N.Y.) 164.000
1. Bastey Boys (Templeton, Mass.) 168.3714 points
2. Regal BBQ (East Amherst, Mass.) 166.8370
3. The Anchormen (Narragansett, R.I.) 164.3714
4. Purple Turtle Catering Company (Norwalk, Conn.) 164.0000
5. Lunchmeat (Rockland, Mass.) 164.0000
6. Skin-n-Bones (Tarpon Springs, Fla.) 164.0000
1. I Smell Smoke (Malden, Mass.) 178.8372 points
2. Philly Pigs (Lumberton, N.J.) 168.0000
3. Skin-n-Bones (Tarpon Springs, Fla.) 166.8370
4. Yabba Dabb Que (Bedford, N.H.) 166.8370
5. Dirty Dick & the Legless Wonders (Norwell, Mass.) 163.7142
6. Jacks Down Home BBQ (Philadelphia, Pa.) 163.7140
1. Purple Turtle Catering Company (Norwalk, Conn.) 173.1428 points
2. BBQ Bob & the EH Team (Vancouver, Canada) 171.4288
3. Beef Rubbers (Waxahachie, Texas) 169.1428
4. Dirty Dick & the Legless Wonders (Norwell, Mass.) 163.7146
5. Q Haven (Norwich, Conn.) 163.7144
6. Bastey Boys (Templeton, Mass.) 163.7142