A Putnam home was destroyed by fire Jan. 23, displacing three people. The Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce is leading an effort to assist the Curcio family.
A Putnam home was destroyed by fire Jan. 23.
Putnam firefighters responded to the blaze at 1186 County Route 2 at 4:33 p.m. On
arrival they found heavy smoke coming from the second floor with flames fully involved on the first floor, according to Doug Thatcher, Putnam fire chief.
Three people — Keith and Louise Curcio and their daughter, Nicole — were displaced by the blaze. The home is owned by Frank Curcio, according to the Washington County Office of Real Property. It was valued at $167,400.
No one was home at the time of the fire, although eight pets were in the building, Thatcher said. Firefighters were able to save six of the animals. Two perished.
There were no injuries to firefighters.
The Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce is leading an effort to assist the Curcio family. They own Keith’s Meat market on Montcalm Street in Ticonderoga.
“Our heart goes out to Keith and Louise Curcio, owners of the new Keith’s Meat Market and one of our newest chamber members,” Matthew Courtright, chamber executive director, said. “The Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce will be a central drop off location for clothing, monetary and gift card donations for the Curcio family. Please show your support for this family and new business owners in Ticonderoga. The chamber will then ensure the Curcio family receives all donations.”
The chamber office, located 94 Montcalm St., is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.. Donations that need to be made outside normal office hours can be arranged with the chamber staff.
For information call 585-6619 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
More than 50 firefighters responded from Putnam, Ticonderoga, Crown Point, Chilson, Dresden and Whitehall. The Ticonderoga Emergency Squad and Ti Fire Department Auxiliary were also on scene.
The fire was reported by a passing motorist, Thatcher said. Firefighters battled the fire until 8:30 p.m.
Thatcher termed the home a total loss.
“It was an older farm house,” he said. “Once the fire got into the walls it quickly spread upstairs. The shell is still standing, but the inside to totally gutted.”
Complicating efforts to douse the fire was below-zero weather.
“We had a couple of issues with trucks freezing, but we managed pretty well,” Thatcher said. “It was a very good response by all the fire companies. Everyone did a great job and no one was hurt. That’s the important thing.”
Thatcher said the fire was started by exhaust pipe on a kerosene heater in the home. Something in a wall, likely insulation, came in contact with the pipe, he said, sparking the fire.
The fire is the first major blaze in Putnam since a barn fire on 2008, Thatcher said.