In our present century we live in a world where fairy-tale castles and opulence are rare. Once upon a time, such a place did exist in Lake George but the hotel vanished in a great burst of flame and retreated into local legend. Like a phoenix, however, it rose from the ashes but the second building, constructed in 1910, was the shadow of its predecessor's elegance.
The golden days of the first Fort William Henry Hotel at Lake George may seem a fantasy, a place where servants catered to the every whim of wealthy guests, but records show that it was all very real. Located on the hill at the head of the lake that Father Jogues first saw in 1646, it was next door to Fort William Henry, which burned in 1757.