The Northeastern New York Region of the American Red Cross comprises five chapters serving a population of nearly 1.9 million people in a 14,900 square mile service area. The region reaches from the mid-Hudson V Alley to the Canadian Border, with Chapter offices in Kingston, Poughkeepsie, Albany, Glens Falls and Plattsburgh.
In 2009-2010 fiscal year - Red Cross Chapters in the Northeastern New York Region:
• Responded to 325 disasters across the region - primarily house fires. Trained Volunteers assist families with emergency shelter, clothing and food and support.
• Trained 76,217 people in CPR, first aid, water safety, use of automated external defibrillators, child care pet first aid and care giving.
• Prepared more than 11,000 individuals for disasters through our community disaster initiatives. Free Red Cross preparedness program teach individuals, families, businesses, and students the basic steps that should be taken to prepare for emergencies.
• Assisted the NY-Penn Blood Region in the collection of more that 83,000 units of blood for use in hospitals in our region.
• Provided assistance to more than 9,400 senior citizens and residents in long-term care facilities through our Telephone Reassurance, Long-Term Care Ombudsman, and Lifeline Programs.
• Connected 849 military families during critical life moments such as births and deaths in the region. Red Cross staff and volunteers also educated 236 military families about our emergency communication services with our "Get to Know Us Before You Need Us" briefing prior to their loved one's deployment.
The Red Cross Corner is a monthly column provided by the North Country chapter of the American Red Cross. The chapter may be reached at 561-7280 or via e-mail at email@example.com.