PLATTSBURGH North Country Cultural Center for the Arts has just announced Phase 2 of the Campaign for the Strand Theatre. With seating for a thousand, the Strand Theatre, located on Brinkerhoff Street, is expected to add a distinctive, new venue for the performing arts in the North Country, complementing the 355-seat Lake Placid Center for the Arts, the Pendragon Theatre, in Saranac Lake, and the Depot Theatre, in Westport.
Our goal, said NCCCA president Sylvia Stack, is to collaborate with other arts and entertainment venues in the tri-county area to strengthen the performing arts across the region. We aim to broaden the base of understanding, appreciation, and support for the arts through meaningful education initiatives and community partnerships.
The restored Strand is anticipated to have a measurable, positive impact on the quality and diversity of entertainment by providing a balance of quality international, national and regional performances of symphony and other musical styles, dance, musical theater, opera and educational programming.
Besides adding a venue supplementing the LPCA and Pendragon, the restored Strand will possess the size, acoustics and logistical requirements to bring more technically demanding performing arts and entertainment to the North Country.
Recently named to the National Register of Historic Places, the Strand has garnered more than $1.4 million through grants and the support of private individuals and regional businesses and is supported by community leaders, local and state government throughout the North Country.
Construction has begun to restore the Art Deco theatre to its original grandeur. Italian marble staircases, silk velour curtains, Corinthian columns with gold capitals and paneled-covered walls of imported silk damask will greet patrons crossing the terrazzo-paneled lobby floor. Upon entering the main auditorium, illuminated by a ninety-eight-bulb crystal chandelier and graced by garnet colored velvet seats, theater-goers will hear the sounds of the restored 1920s theater-class Wurlitzer pipe organ wafting through the air.
The chandelier can be raised and lowered essential to bringing to life, you see, a complete version of the Phantom of the Opera, observed one patron close to the reconstruction.
An era began in 1924 when renowned vaudeville actor Harold Lloyd appeared in Hot Water at the grand opening of the Strand Theatre. Decades of drama, comedy, silent film, talkies, independent and mainstream cinema followed. The theaters restoration will return the Strand to its founding purposea first-class, multi-purpose facility, operated, endowed and maintained in accordance with the highest professional standards for the performing arts for audiences enjoyment and enrichment. The Strand will provide a venue complementing performing arts centers across the region, dedicated to serving the entire North Country community.
For more information about the Strand restoration project, including how to make a donation, contact the North Country Cultural Center for the Arts at 563-1604.