The Ticonderoga Historical Society will host its largest event of the season this weekend. The 10th annual Summer A-Fair will be held Saturday, Aug. 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the lawn of the Hancock House at 6 Moses Circle.
The Ticonderoga Historical Society will host its largest event of the season this weekend.
The 10th annual Summer A-Fair will be held Saturday, Aug. 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the lawn of the Hancock House at 6 Moses Circle.
“There will be freshly baked pies, muffins, cookies and other goodies at the bake table,” said Courtnay “Chris” M. Smith of the historical society. “This is a very popular table so don’t be late if you want to have the best pick. There will be books by regional authors, historic area pictures, and other items for sale from the society’s gift shop. There will be a white elephant sale with all sorts of treasures, and you can visit the arts and crafts vendors who will be selling some very unique gift items.”
Summer A-Fair is a popular event, according to Dorcey Crammond, Ticonderoga Historical Society treasurer.
“This once-a-year event is one that should not be missed,” she said. “There is sure to be something for everyone.”
The Ticonderoga Historical Society holds this annual event fundraiser to support the maintenance of the Hancock House and preservation of the archive holdings of local area history.
For more information contact the Ticonderoga Historical Society at 585-7868 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hancock House, which serves as home to the Ticonderoga Historical Society, was a gift to The New York State Historical Association (NYSHA) from native son and philanthropist Horace Moses.
Located at the Liberty Monument at the intersection of Wicker and Montcalm streets, it is also home to several exhibits highlighting community history.
Moses built the house as a repository for the purpose of perpetuating “American Traditions in History and the Fine Arts,” and it served in this capacity for many years as the NYSHA “Headquarters House,” although it can no longer claim this title. This imposing Georgian mansion is a replica of Thomas Hancock’s (uncle to John Hancock) Beacon Hill residence built in 1737 and 1741, and demolished in 1863.
Horace Augustus Moses learned the paper industry from the ground up, eventually building and purchasing mills which he consolidated into the Strathmore Paper Company. Never forgetting his rural beginnings, he began to make considerable donations to many Ticonderoga charitable and educational enterprises, including Valley View Cemetery Chapel, Liberty Monument, Moses-Ludington Hospital, the Community Building, and the Hancock House. In building the Hancock House he achieved one of his earliest lifetime ambitions to establish a museum with a library that would make Ticonderoga a focal point for public interest in the region's fascinating and nationally significant history.
The Hancock House Museum and Research Library was dedicated in 1926. The Ticonderoga Historical Society today manages this elegant structure as a regional museum and reference library. There are interesting and exciting exhibits on all four floors of the Hancock House. The modern library houses a large collection of regional material on civic, social and economic elements and also has one of the largest collections of genealogical resource materials in the region.
The Hancock House was erected in 1926 and presented to the Association by Horace A. Moses, a native son of Ticonderoga, to further the interest of the people of northeastern New York and the Lake Champlain and Lake George valleys in history and the fine arts. After careful consideration the house was constructed as a replica of the famous John Hancock home which stood on Beacon Street in Boston and which was demolished in 1863 to make room for a new wing of the State House. John Hancock, the Revolutionary patriot, second president of the Continental Congress, signer of the Declaration of Independence and later Governor of Massachusetts, was a rich Boston merchant and his home was one of the finest of Colonial mansions. The original house was erected in 1737 by Hancock's uncle, Thomas, and was a “wonder-house” in its day.