A local official says the village is finally able to control water levels above and below the Lake Flower Dam.
During last night's regular meeting of the Saranac Lake Village Board of Trustees, village Manager John Sweeney said crews are able to manage the flow of water upstream.
"For the first time in quite a while we're seeing reductions in downstream movements and hopefully relieving some of the pressure on people downstream for us," he said.
Sweeney says the village should be able to reduce water levels above the dam by one inch per day.
In terms of damage, Sweeney says there are two trunk lines that he has serious concerns about - one on Dorsey Street, another on Woodruff Street.
On Pelkey Lane, part of a retaining wall has been lost. There's also uncalculated shoreline repairs that must be undertaken.
Sweeney says the hydropoint below the dam has experienced significant scouring damage and many retaining walls downstream will need work, as will the foundations of some buildings.
The River Walk corridor also needs major repairs.
Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency have visited the village. But Sweeney says they came too early.
"Their comment to me was, 'Usually, the event is over with,'" he said. "We still had flood stages when they were here. So they will be back."
According to Sweeney, the village is putting together a scope of services report for three areas for engineering work.
"For buildings and foundations, it's civil being the River Walk and any scour issues, and sewer including Pelkey and the final clarifiers including two trunks lines - we'll be bringing that to the board at the next meeting for discussion," he said. "That's in reference to whether or not we want to do the work under one engineer and deal with FEMA under one, or do we want to have multiple contracts."
Sweeney says that if the village gets money for repairing publicly-owned infrastructure, 75 percent will be funded by the federal government, while the remaining 25 percent will be split evenly by state and local governments.
Community Development Director Jeremy Evans says filings for individual assistance need to be turned in as soon as possible so he can turn those documents over to Essex County.
Meanwhile, members of the public and trustees had nothing but praise for village workers and emergency personnel who logged long hours when flooding was at its peak.
Trustee Tom Catillaz said he's proud of village crews. He also said workers told him they were glad to have John Sweeney as their village manager throughout the crisis.