The Ticonderoga Fish and Game Club was organized in 1922 at a meeting held in the Odd Fellows Temple on Montcalm Street. The first president was S.H.P.Pell, Vice President Albert Weed, Secretary John Patterson, and Treasurer William Lee. There were 32 members and much enthusiasm.
That year they voted for the area trout limit to remain at 6 inches. After slow growth for the next few years they held a drive for new members in 1928 and enjoyed a revival.
Thousands of trout were planted in area waterways in 1929. Meetings continued to be held in the 1930s but there was a need for a permanent club building. In 1945 they leased the Snow Club Building in the Lord Howe Valley from the town.
Romeo Contois, Edmund Morette, Donald Lapointe and Arthur Spring were the officers of the club with meetings held in the new Huestis Garage (Gunning Insurance Building). By the next year they had grown to 800 members, the largest fish and game club in upstate New York.
The group published a booklet of fishing in the area, held fishing contests, yearly muzzle loading shoots and sportsman shows at the local armory each November. The 1940s were indeed a busy time for these men. Karl Blanchard, Graham Davis, Edmund Morette, David Connery, Loren Drake and George Trombley were among the presidents and many projects were undertaken. Pheasants were raised and released for a pheasant season held on two consecutive Saturdays, annual summer outings at Rogers Rock Campsite were well attended and games, fishing and shooting contests, speedboat rides and music were enjoyed by all.
Small fish were stocked in area ponds, and muskrat trapping was halted indefinitely. A plea was sent to the New York State Conservation Department to send more game protectors to the area.
During the 1950s there were over 1,000 members, a great working group. Hunter safety courses were offered to those age 14 and up, encouraging safety in the woods. In 1961 a new club house was built on the Old Chilson Road, with a .22 caliber shooting range added later for the Ti Shooting Club. During the 1960s Merrill Dolbeck was president and Dick Johndrow honored the club by receiving an award for bagging the most outstanding buck in New York State. The Adirondack Deer Forum was hosted by the club for several years with Dick Johndrow and Larry LaPann as presidents.
This club no longer meets on a regular basis, but Kevin Hart is the president. The snowmobile club is the current resident of the building.
This series of articles is compliments of Ticonderoga Heritage Museum, located in the 1888 building at the entrance of Bicentennial Park.