Prosperity coming our way?
The biggest engineering feat ever attempted in this region since the Spire Falls Dam, is being planned by a number of New York capitalists who propose to build a big dam on the Hudson River at Riverside. They have already purchased land along the stream for several miles and as soon as other now pending real estate deals are closed, work will be commenced on the big structure and this will be followed by the erection of manufacturing plants which are rumored to be a big electrical plant and mills for making cereals.
The proposed place for the dam is known as the Spruce Mountain Riffs and there is a drop of about fifty feet which with the erection of a large dam will furnish enormous power for the operation of big mills. The river runs through a valley between towering mountains for several miles. A big lake will be created by backing up the flow of water between the mountains. The proposed site of the dam is about a mile from the Riverside railroad depot and between the towns of Chester and Johnsburgh. This will be a big boon for the north country as well as to give employment to a large number of men. (Note: As we all know, the dam was never built, and this stretch of the Hudson River, site of the annual Whitewater Derby, runs its natural course.)
Noted area surveyor Hiram Philo dies
The familiar figure of Hiram Philo with his silk hat, which he wore on all occasions, will be seen no more on the streets of Glens Falls. He died Friday, Feb. 3, 1911 at the age of 87 years after a career of half a century as a surveyor, during which time he surveyed and laid out what is now nearly the entire city of Glens Falls. He was also the surveyor of the old school. He had no C.E. degree but he had practical mathematics under that silk hat and his computations were seldom questioned.
Philo conducted a store in 1843-44 at the corner of Glen and Warren streets, Glens Falls and was coroner of Warren County in 1856 at the time of the burning of the John Jay craft on Lake George, when several lives were lost. (Note: The John Jay went out to ply the waters of Lake George in 1850 and was owned by John J. Harris. J. Gale was captain of the boat. In 1856 it took fire in her engine room off Friends Point and struggling to reach shore, struck a rock on Walton Isle and sank. Six lives were lost.)
In 1857, Hiram Philo was appointed postmaster at Bolton. Twice he declined a nomination to the state Assembly to represent Warren County. Bolton on Lake George was his home for many years although he later passed his days at 329 Glen St. in Glens Falls where he died.
(Note: Hiram Philo learned the civil engineering profession from his father and it was said that 90 per cent of the older deeds and title papers of property in Glens Falls were prepared by him or under his direction. In 1844 Hiram Philo married Miss Amy Coffin. She was 76 when she died in 1900. Six children survived them.)
Grand village home renovated
The handsome home of Hart Joseph on Elm St., Warrensburgh has been undergoing an elaborate redecorating of the interior. The house is one of the finest residences of the village and its unique architecture affords excellent opportunities for carrying on the decorative scheme in beaver board, planned by the builder of the home, H.H. Hill. The finishing work was accomplished by J.F. Burt's brush.)
(Note: Hart Joseph was born in 1862 in Columbus, Ga. He later gave up his job as traveling salesman for the Wallamantic Linen Co. and went to work in 1890 for the Empire Shirt Co. in Warrensburgh. He married the boss's daughter, Theresa Weinman and they lived for many years in the "handsome home" on Elm St. mentioned above. The house was later sold to Frank Smith who became Warrensburgh supervisor in 1926, a legend in his own time. He was still supervisor in June 1931 when the house burned down and Frank died in the fire. Jack Toney later built a ranch style home and a small house on the lot.)
Jingle bells to Lake George
A party of school girls from Warrensburgh enjoyed a sleigh ride to Lake George Saturday Jan. 28, 1911, as the guests of liveryman John H. Pasco and returned home by trolley. The party consisted of Theresa Owens, Leona Sturdevan, Ethel Farrar, Kathleen Halpin, Marguerite Goodman, Alice Keays, Margery McCarthy and Helen Straight.
They visited the county court house and were shown through the building by Sheriff T.J. Smith.
Deaths in the news
Miss Martha A. McCarthy is dead at South Hartford as a result of excessive grief over the death of her brother, David McCarthy, which occurred a few days ago.
Nigel Gleason, 5 weeks old, son of Harold Gleason, died of heart trouble at his home in upper Main St., Warrensburgh. He was buried in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Jane E. Sheldon, 72, died Friday, Jan. 27, 1911 on River Street, Warrensburgh, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Oren Hovey. She leaves two sons, Lewis Putney and George Harrington, two daughters, Emma Howe and Mrs. Hovey. Burial was in the Harrington Hill Cemetery.
Jerry King, 73, of Athol died of pneumonia on Sunday, Jan. 29, 1911 and was buried in the Reynolds Cemetery.
Muscles of steel ready for work
A team of horses belonging to Andrew Andrus of Johnsburgh, drew two loads recently, one weighing five tons and 960 pounds, the other five tons and 480 pounds. Considering that one horse is 25 years old and drew a full half of the load, these weighs are remarkable.
In other horse news, there was a race on Friends Lake between horses owned by Arthur W. Perry, "Uncle Jim" Wilsey, Charley Mosher and George McCauley. As the horses were well-matched for speed there was a hot race for a good crowd to witness it.
The thermometer registered 10 degrees below zero recently at Knowelhurst and 14 below at West Stony Creek. On Jan. 28, 1911 there was a severe blizzard accompanied by a fierce wind. Measles are getting a foothold in North Thurman. There is so much sickness that the schools are closed. Skating on Lake George at Hague is presently a popular sport.
Several elk are wintering in Township 28 in the town of Newcomb and they are yarding with deer in a friendly manner. Too many of them are mistaken for deer and shot by hunters.
The International Paper Co. has offered to settle for $250 the claim of Berlin Ovitt of Corinth, whose father met death while in the company's employ.
In North Thurman, George Baker has his fine two-year-old colt well broken to harness. James Bennett bought a fine span of three-year-old colts in Garnet.
The Kenwell boys from New Jersey and Alabama were in Wevertown for the funeral of their mother, Mrs. Thomas Kenwell.
The remains of Abigail Dingman, 85, of Corinth were brought to Stony Creek for burial.
Undersheriff Mac R. Smith is making up a collection of photographs of the sheriffs who have served Warren county during the century from 1813 to 1911 to hang on the new sheriff's office walls.
William Johnsten has started a general store and also a feed store in Bartonville, Horicon. Corn and meal are being retailed for $1.25 per 100 pounds, which is the lowest price in three years.
E.A. Knight of Lake George has a used 1908 Ford roadster for sale. It is four cylinder, two passenger with all lamps and gas tank, speedometer, magneto, all good tires and the top is in good order. $250.
An old diary tells of a snowstorm in March, 1804 in which four feet of snow fell on the level and some drifts were 10 feet high. It snowed from Friday morning until Sunday morning. It was impossible for children to walk home from school and the horses that were sent for them sunk to their necks. At one point during the storm nine inches fell in 45 minutes.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 6213-2210.