•100 Years Ago - January, 1911•
Looking back 50 years
Lumbering was the great industry around 1861 in the Adirondacks, just as it is today in 1911. Lumbering teams furnished the bulk of travel on the highways in those days and there were inns at frequent intervals for the entertainment of the teamsters who would stop overnight whenever night overtook them.
The regular price for a man's supper, lodging and the housing of his team was 50 cents in 1861. If this seems inexpensive it should be remembered that half a dollar was harder to get hold of than it is now in 1911. When it was felt by the teamsters that liquid refreshment was needed, a glass of whiskey could be had for three cents and tavern keepers set out man-size glasses in those days and the custom was to fill them to the brim.
Gifts from afar
Mrs. Ella Emerson, who is spending the winter in California where she has a large orange grove, favored a number of her Warrensburgh friends with delicious samples of her product, big, sweet, juicy navel oranges of the highest grade. The fruit was shipped to her husband Louis Emerson and was distributed by him to the several favored friends on Christmas morning.
(Note: Ella Fuller, born in 1856, was the wife of Charles A. Thomas and they lived in what is now the Senior Citizens house on Main St. Their son, Harry Thomas, broke his mother's heart when he died in 1900 at the age of 23 years. She planted the flowering bush on the front north corner of the building in his memory that survived nearly 100 years before it was not long ago, cut down in a beautification effort.
Charles Thomas ran a clothing store on Hudson St. and died in 1885 when he was 32. Ella later married banker and state congressman Louis W. Emerson. She died in 1924.
Priest nearly electrocuted
A Greek Catholic priest who had been the spiritual adviser of Cuylen Toth, who was electrocuted at the state prison in Trenton, New Jersey for murdering his young wife, narrowly escaped the fate that Toth suffered.
Toth was strapped to the chair and all was in readiness. The attendant was in the switch room with his hand on the lever. The priest held a crucifix to the condemned youth's lips. His body touched his. Seeing the peril of the priest, a keeper shouted to him and the clergyman leaped back just as the deadly current was turned on.
An "old folks dance" will be held at Music Hall and a grand good time will be had by one and all. Popular dance music to be played will be for a march, quadrille, waltz, two-step and a Virginia reel. Music for the waltz is, "Come Josephine in my flying machine," and for the quadrille is, "A box of monkeys."
Supper will be served next door at the Adirondack Hotel until 1 a.m. and the dance will close at 3 a.m. Admission is 25 cents. Every feature of the dance will satisfy the most critical patron. (Note...The Adirondack Hotel stood where Rite Aid is today and Music Hall stood on the corner across from Adirondack Avenue.)
Bridge got in the way
Leonard Harrington, 16, son of Edward Harrington, while coasting on Osborne Hill Saturday night with a pair of bobs, ran into the iron framework on one side of the Osborne Bridge and striking his knee on a projecting rail split the knee pan (kneecap). He was able to walk to his home on Herrick Avenue, but when he reached the house his knee was greatly swollen and caused him excruciating pain. Dr. Goodman was summoned and was obliged to give the boy a hypodermic injection of morphine to relieve his agony after which he was taken to Glens Falls Hospital.
Another bridge, another boy injured
Beecher Sawyer, youngest son of David Sawyer of Bakers Mills, while coasting on the main road on Edwards Hill, lost control of his sled and ran into the wall built for a breakwater to the new iron bridge built last fall (1910). He was thrown from his sled on to the rocks at the side of the bridge and was badly bruised about the legs so that he is unable to walk or get around, though no bones were broken. He is now staying with his grandfather, Clark Bills on Edwards Hill.
Winter work begins in ernest
Monday afternoon, Jan. 9, 1911 and well into that night, a real Adirondack blizzard struck Warrensburgh which brought out our road forces with ploughs. Once under control, the sleighing was very fine and the roads were full of teams drawing logs, pulp wood, grain, wood and coal. It was not an uncommon thing to see eight and ten teams in a string. The winter's work has a good start!
Charles Baker is getting out a good stock of logs in Bakers Mills for the spring opening. He has 15 teams drawing from his farm near Crane Mountain.
On Jan. 10, 1911, officers were re-elected at the Emerson National Bank of Warrensburgh. Louis W. Emerson was elected president and James A. Emerson was elected vice-president and cashier. Louis E. Reoux is teller.
A birthday tea was held Jan. 9, 1911 by Mrs. Benjamin Gurney in honor of the seventh birthday anniversary of her son, Paul Gurney. (Note...Paul Gurney was the architect who designed our well-known Queen Village landmark, the Floyd Bennett bandstand.)
Mary and John L. Tubbs gave a party on the afternoon of Dec. 30, 1910 for their daughter, Louie in honor of her sixth birthday anniversary. There were 11 girls and boys. (Note...John Tubbs was the editor of the Warrensburgh News. His daughter, Margaret Louise Tubbs later became a music teacher in Warrensburg and wrote the ever popular book, "Legacy to Warrensburg," that is so popular with students of local history. She died in 1975.)
The funeral of Goldie Albro, who died after an appendicitis operation, was held at the Methodist Episcopal Church in Bolton Landing. George Potter lost his team of work horses by drowning on Monday, Jan. 16, 1911 as he was working on the ice near Three Brothers Island in Lake George.
Prominent widow dies
Mary A. Crandall, 83, widow of Josiah Crandall, died Dec. 2, 1910 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. F.L. Hamilton in Warrensburgh. She was a resident of Warrensburgh for more than 50 years. (Note: Mary Ann Crandall was the daughter of Rev. William D. Stead who was born in 1799 in Yorkshire, England, the son of Rev. Henry Stead. William died here in 1844 and is buried in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Josiah Crandall settled in Warrensburgh in 1832 and after learning the tanning business, manufactured boots and shoes until 1867 when he went into the mercantile business and was succeeded by his son, Emerson Stead Crandall. Emerson Crandall later built a three-story business block on south Main St., with stores, apartments, and a frontage of 100 feet on south Main St. This commercial row burned Feb. 9, 1927. His former home, where he died, is today's "White House Lodge," south of the Church of the Holy Cross, last owned by the late Jim Gibson.
Emerson married Mary Mixer in 1872 and their daughter, Mary Stead Crandall was head librarian at Richards Library from its opening in 1901 to 1943. In 1959 she died at 85 years of age in Westmount Infirmary.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210