Prominent doctor dies of stroke
Dr. Gilbert H. Aldrich, 57, died the morning of Feb. 21, 1911 at his home in Stony Creek as a result of a paralytic stroke sustained Jan. 22, 1911.
Dr. Aldrich was born in Thurman, son of Squire Daniel and Catherine Aldrich who had a family of six children. They moved to Warrensburgh so their sons might have the best educational advantages by attending the celebrated Warrensburgh Academy, the best school in the locality.
After completing his time there he took up the study of medicine, reciting to his brother, the late Dr. William D. Aldrich. He graduated with honors from Dartmouth College in the class of 1877 and settled into the former medical practice of his brother, in Stony Creek. A month later he married Miss Sarah L. Lewis, daughter of the late Gardner T. Lewis of Warrensburgh and they lived happily there for 33 years.
Dr. Aldrich was in politics an uncompromising Democrat and in 1879 he was elected Town Clerk. For five successive years he was supervisor of Stony Creek and Chairman of the Board for two years. He was president of the Warren County Medical Society.
Dr. Aldrich is survived by his widow and an adopted son, Edmund E. Aldrich. Burial is in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Banker blames wife's extravagance
Clayton J. Barber, bookkeeper of the First National Bank of Glens Falls, was sentenced to 7 and 1/2 years in federal prison for making false entries in the books to cover up defalcations extending over 15 years. He told the court that the extravagance of his wife caused his downfall and caused him to spend money far beyond his salary.
Son buys father's homestead
Andrew Lackey of Johnsburgh went to Glens Falls March 8, 1911 and bought from the estate of his father, William Lackey late of that city, the old homestead and personal property at Johnsburgh, paying therefore $1,500. The entire estate of the deceased is worth about $30,000.
In other news, Philetus Bump sold his farm of 300 acres at Riparius to Gustavus Blumgen of New York City and on April 1, 1911 will take possession. Mr. Bump will sell his household goods and spend a year in the West before settling down.
James Russell of Thurman has taken his brother David's farm near Bakers Mills and will move his family there in the spring.
There was quite a snowstorm March 9, 1911 but the next two days were warm and sunny. There is plenty of snow at Riverbank now and lumbermen are busy. Young people spend enjoyable time on Saturdays coasting down a long hill near the Riverbank home of Effie Pratt.
The last race of the season will be held Saturday afternoon, March 3, 1911 on the ice track on Lake George. There are many cases of measles in Warrensburgh.
The Maplewood baseball team has rented from Gilbert H. Weaver the rooms over the Sansouci Brothers meat market in downtown Warrensburgh for their official headquarters.
Frank Robbins and Wesley Morehouse are extracting stone at Sodom to be used for building abutments of a bridge in Oregon (area in western Johnsburgh near Rte. 8). Six teams are doing the hauling. John Little of Hague Mountain was in Johnsburgh Corners drawing logs for Arthur Perry.
Patrick Daley, a 17-year-old Glens Falls boy, has been committed to a sanitarium in Saratoga to be treated for insanity caused by fast growth. He is over 6 feet tall.
A son was born Saturday, Feb. 11, 1911 at the Richard Menshauson home in Corinth. The new mother was the former Miss Maude Dingman of Warrensburgh. The boy was given the name of Marvin Richard Menshauson and his grandfather is James O. Cameron.
Charles D. Wilsey, 2-year old son of Orson R. Wilsey, got hold of a cup which contained a small portion of kerosene left over from building a fire and drank it quite freely. Emetics were given and the little fellow suffered no serious consequences.
In an area village school, a teacher asked the scholars in her class to write a sentence finishing with the two words, "bitter end." One boy wrote, "The Russians had to fight to a better end." A seven-and-a-half-year-old youngster named Archie wrote, "Our Pomeranian puppy ran after mother Cooper's cat yesterday and as she was running through the wooden fence he "bitter end."
Found artifacts pre-date pilgrims?
"Uncle" Ben Chesney, who lives below Shaver's Mills near Luzerne, has in his possession a relic of days in this section that pre-dates all known history.
It is a small stone, perhaps 10 by 14 inches, oval on one side and faced on the other. On the face side appears the letters, "O.S." and the figures "1612." The stone was dug up from the Buttles Cemetery, which is on a part of Uncle Ben's farm, some 40 years ago. The stone lay on the subsoil and was covered by five feet of sand. It must have been there many, many years and just how it got there is a mystery.
A few years ago after the Adirondack railroad was built, the water coursing through a culvert under the roadbed in the town of Hadley, near the old Beattie place, gullied a strip along the highway and unearthed a quantity of ancient copper coins, which were quickly appropriated by people in that vicinity. Last year there was an old sword dug up on the state road. It is evident from these relics that Luzerne was visited by white men long before its first known settlement by the Yankees.
(Note: The pilgrims did not land in Plymouth, Mass. until 1620, although I find a record of the settlement of the Popham Colony on the Maine coast established there in June, 1607. White men in Luzerne in 1612? Does anyone know if that possible gravestone, the sword or the copper coins have survived in some museum? It is interesting to speculate what other exciting treasures might still be buried possibly in a Luzerne corn field. I would be happy to hear from anyone who has any thoughts on this subject.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210.