Rte. 9 considered grand highway
The legal attempt to hold up the construction of the great International Highway, advocated by the Emerson-Trombly bill, has failed in the courts. The attack was made by Albany County officials on the bill, which provides for the construction of the roadway. The state highway will start in New York City and extend to the Canada line. The construction was authorized this year by the legislature, earmarking $15 million for the much-needed project.
Senator "Jim" Emerson of Warrensburgh is gratified at the failure to derail his pet project. The main street of Warrensburgh will be paved with vitrified brick and construction will begin immediately from the Judd Bridge to the Adirondack Hotel and much local employment will be given by the contractors.
The work is to be started in Warren County by the construction of 13 miles of road between Warrensburgh and Chestertown. The road will extend from the big rock in the lower part of Warrensburgh to the end of the Chester-Riverside state road in the front of the Rising House on Main Street, Chestertown. Next to follow is work to begin on the four-and-a-half mile road from Lake George to Warrensburgh, then five miles from Wevertown to North Creek. The highway will be 28 feet wide for the entire distance.
(Note: In the 1990s, Rte. 9, the local section of this grand highway, was rebuilt through town and the brick was dug up and disposed of. Some of these bricks were salvaged and are in the possession of Regina Porter, Sarah Farrar and Teresa Whalen and are not lost to history. I hear that Tom and Amber Grace have a fireplace made of them. The story of this highway was detailed in this column in the May 28, 2011 Adirondack Journal.)
Prehistoric remains dug up
While blasting for a retaining wall on the state road in process of construction between Luzerne and Corinth, a gang of workmen unearthed the skeleton of a mastodon, a huge animal with two large tusks somewhat like, but larger than, an elephant. With the exception of two large bones of the fore-legs, the skeleton is in a state of good preservation. Some of the smaller bones are broken but it is believed that they can be replaced so that the skeleton can be set up.
The bones were turned over to the State Museum in Albany. Bones of the same kind of an animal were found in Cohoes a number of years ago when excavations were being made for a big knitting mill there.
Fires leave change landscape
E.S. Dunlap, proprietor of the Dunlap Hotel at North River, which was destroyed by fire on March 15, 1911, has sold the hotel site, barns, sheds, etc., to George Ordway, formerly of the Ordway Hotel at that place.
Mrs. James Glassbrook's house in Knowelhurst, on her farm near Judson Fuller's, was mysteriously burned on the night of June 12, 1911. Mr. Fuller now has the only house left over the mountain on West Stony Creek.
Deaths in the news
Henry Maxam, 78, of Bakers Mills, who had a stroke of paralysis in the winter and has since been very feeble, died June 15, 1911. He leaves a widow, a married daughter and two sons, Fred and Frank Maxam. Maxam had been a resident of Bakers Mills for more than 40 years, lumbering in the north woods and living on his farm near the village. He was buried in the Hack Cemetery, Johnsburgh.
Rev. Dr. Romine Campbell, former pastor of the Warrensburgh Methodist Episcopal Church, died June 16, 1911 in Amsterdam where he had been pastor of the Methodist Church since 1902. His first pastorate he was assigned to was Pottersville before coming to Warrensburgh. He was buried in Hartford, Washington County.
George Avery Gallup of Athol, died June 22, 1911 of dropsy. He was buried in the Bowen Cemetery.
Mary Anna Darrow, 46, died of heart trouble June 24, 1911 at her home on Upper Main Street, Warrensburgh, after an illness of two days. She was the daughter of Eunice Darrow. Burial was in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Gala wedding in Horicon
Horace D. Smith of Igerna and Miss Ella M. Hemenway of Horicon were married at the home of the bride's parents on the morning of June 21, 1911. The groom is the second son of Deacon and Mrs. Jordan Smith. The bride is the only daughter of L.S. Hemenway of Horicon. She was a teacher at the Horicon public school for several years.
The happy couple left by carriage for Lake George and later Ticonderoga where they will spend their honeymoon. They will reside in Horicon.
In other wedding news, Richard Williams of Glens Falls and Miss Mildred Bolton of Hague were married in Warrensburgh at the Bolton House, the home of the bride's uncle, Harry Bolton.
Pitcher has curious abilities
On June 10, 1911 the Maplewood baseball team of Warrensburgh soundly beat the North Creek team by a score of 8 to 1. Stewart "Tootie" Farrar puzzled the North Creek team with his complicated curves so that their batters continued to fan the air most of the time. Edward Berry of Warrensburgh umpired the game with great fairness and many close decisions. The town girls were there in force with their Maplewood yells.
Sensible rules to live by
Each girl in the Warrensburgh high school graduating class received in the mail a copy of an article published in a New York newspaper detailing a list of don't for girls graduating from high school. It read:
"Don't wear French heels or tight dresses. Don't put on corsets till you are 20. Don't lunch between meals. Don't eat a lot of candy. Don't fail to take a bath every day. Don't stay up late at night. Don't walk in low thin shoes. Don't fail to exercise an hour every day. Don't be afraid of work and don't grow up too soon."
Grass is in good condition this year and several farmers will begin haying early, shortly after July 4, 1911. Wilbur Perkins of Knowelhurst has taken the hay to cut on the W.W. Scofield farm.
Johnnie Frost of Athol went trout fishing and caught 165 fish. David Frost and William Walsh have picked and sold over 100 quarts of strawberries from their beds this season. They plan on planting more next spring. Also in Athol, a son, Burnice L. Ingraham was born on June 19, 1911 to Mr. and Mrs. James A. Ingraham. On June 24, 1911, Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Germain welcomed a son.
Mr. and Mrs. Orris Locke of Indian Lake are rejoicing over the arrival of a son. L.W. Brooks has quite a large force of men peeling poplar pulp wood in Knowelhurst on the Finch, Pruyn Co. and Garner lots. F.W. Ross is building a new summer cottage on Garnet Lake.
Albert Thieriot of Chestertown has bought a new steel gray horse to match the one he had and they are so well matched it is hard to tell them apart.
Orange Stackhouse is in Wevertown assisting the Waddell brothers in moving a barn on their Hillside farm. Willard Hack of Johnsburgh is very ill with the measles. George Evens of Luzerne was painfully injured at his mill at Wolf Creek when his jaw was broken in two places.
Some of the Lewisville boys with money to burn have decided to invest it in a display of fireworks to celebrate the glorious Fourth of July this year. (Note: Lewisville was the area of River St., Warrensburgh from the Rte. 418 bridge to the Mill St. bridge."It was named for G.T. Lewis who had a planing mill there in 1876. He eventually sold out and went west.)
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.