Fleeing from the law
Charles Andrus, 23, the youth who is accused by the authorities of murdering Johnsburgh farmer William Hopkins, then setting fire to the house in which both men were staying, was captured at a farmhouse near Northville at 9 a.m. March 21, 1911 by Constable Charles Baker of Bakers Mills.
After driving a day and a half in a blinding snowstorm over country roads filled with drifted snow and frequently losing his way, the officer finally located Andrus at the home of William Baker to whom Andrus had hired out as a woodcutter. The constable took the prisoner into custody and arrived with him at 4:50 p.m. in Glens Falls where he was lodged in a cell at police headquarters and later taken to North Creek.
Andrus had come to the Baker farmhouse at daybreak after walking more than 30 miles through fields and forests the day before and was practically exhausted. He sought work as a woodcutter and William Baker had hired him. He showed the effects of exposure and cold he had endured.
When he recognized by the constable he began to cry and remarked that whiskey had got the best of him. He admitted to the officer that he had struck Hopkins and than left him in the burning room which had become ignited by the overturning and explosion of an oil lamp. He said that both he and Hopkins were intoxicated and he had only struck him when Hopkins had come at him with a pitchfork.
The crime was committed at an old house owned by Fred Jenks, formerly owned by the late Albert Jenks as Hopkins had rented the place for two years. Andrus is generally regarded as a half-witted giant as he is much over six feet tall. Those who know him cite his eccentric ways. He lived with his parents on the Dalaba place near Mill Creek.
Death of a distinguished lady
Emma P. Landon, 84, has died. She was the daughter of Esquire George Patterson, resident of Warrensburgh since about 1815. Emma married John Landon of Chestertown, a playmate in his boyhood days of A.T. Pasko of Warrensburgh. He came to this village when he was a young man and conducted a harness business and sold out to Mr. Pasko. He and his wife then moved to Glens Falls.
Emma Landon was a sister of Elizabeth Patterson, who with her mother, Julia Patterson lived and died in a large house near the Sturdevan Bakery on which property they owned for scores of years. She was a cousin of Mrs. Thomas Cunningham and the late Caroline Patterson.
Mrs. Landon was a lifelong member of the Presbyterian Church in Warrensburgh and was a lady of true Christian charity. One of the business blocks on Warren St. in Glens Falls is known as the Landon block. Since the death of her husband in 1898 she has boarded with the H. Prior King family in Glens Falls. She died Feb. 3, 1911 in Albany and is buried in the Warrensburgh Cemetery.
Alexander T. Pasko, a grand old man, was born in Chestertown, the son of Levy Pasko. He settled in Warrensburgh in 1849 and became a dealer in harness and "horse furniture" in a house on the now vacant area two lots north of today's Glens Falls National Bank. (Note: The Sturdevan Bakery is now Riverside Gallery and perhaps the Patterson house is the house behind the old bakery on Elm St. Mrs. Thomas Cunningham, the former Miss Mary E. Burdick, lived on the corner of Main St. and today's Stewart Farrar Avenue, in those days called School Street. Her beautiful 150 year old house was razed Nov. 9, 2000. H. Prior King was a successful lawyer, one of the grandsons of famous early Warrensburgh settler Pelatiah Richards whose opulent home once stood in the north end of today's Grand Union parking lot. It was also at one time the home of Paul Gilchrist, who is currently president of the Warrensburgh Historical Society.)
Sorrow and sad times at Darrowsville
Charles Harpp, 19, the youngest son of Sarah Ann Harpp, died March 18, 1911 at the home of his brother, Fred Harpp in Darrowsville, Chester, after four weeks illness with pneumonia. Early in the winter he contracted whooping cough, followed by the grippe. This left his lungs in such a weakened condition that he was unable to withstand the ravages of pneumonia which followed. He is survived by his widowed mother, five brothers, George, Uriah, Arthur, William and Fred Harpp and one sister, Mrs. Fred Vanderwerker.
The boy had tried to sing with his weak voice, "Rock of Ages," only a few hours before his death and the hymn was sung at his funeral. The bearers were Howard Seage, Grant Hill, Floyd Saville and Fayette McKee, all schoolmates of the deceased.
This is the fourth death in the family within a month. First was the father, Isaac Harpp, than the eldest son, Ernest Harpp and finally George Harpp, a nephew. William Harpp has been ill for three weeks with pneumonia, but is slowly recovering.
In other news, Charlotte Moulton, 69, widow of Josiah Moulton, died at the home of her son, Clarence Carpenter on River St., Warrensburgh after a week's illness of blood poisoning. She leaves one other son, Lafayette Carpenter of Indian Lake. Burial was in the Darrowsville Cemetery.
Man dies waiting for the doctor
Jeremiah Donovan, 64, a lifelong resident of Warrensburgh and North Caldwell, died Monday night, Feb. 27, 1911 at the Warren House in Warrensburgh.
He lived alone on the Donovan farm in North Caldwell and had been in poor health for several years. On Monday he came to Warrensburgh to consult Dr. Griffin. The physician was out of town and Donovan decided to remain at the Warren House hotel until his return. He was in a serious condition from heart and kidney trouble. On Tuesday morning Mrs. O'Connor went to his room and when he did not answer her repeated knocks, she entered his room and found him dead in bed. His two sisters, Anna Doyle and Ellen Donovan came to claim his body. He was buried March 1, 1911 in St. Cecilia's Cemetery, Warrensburgh.
Brave battle for life lost
After a year of intense suffering, Mary Elizabeth Irish, wife of Hiram Hammond of Lake George, died Feb. 21, 1911 in the Glens Falls Hospital. Mrs. Hammond was born in Lake George, April 20, 1878 and had spent her life in that village. On Oct. 12, 1908 she married Hiram Hammond of that same place. She is survived by her husband, two brothers, William and Arthur Irish, both of Lake George and four sisters.
Early last spring the lady went to Glens Falls Hospital to undergo an operation for appendicitis which was not successful. For months she hovered between life and death before she was finally allowed to return home. She was taken back to the hospital where she was again subjected to the knife which was more than her poor body could bear but in time she was again released.
She was taken back to the hospital for the last time to spend three more hours under the knife but there was little hope left for her recovery and she sank into her last sleep.
Mr. Hammond, worn out after a year of hope and despair, was taken to the hospital in serious condition and physicians have fear of a complete breakdown.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-2210.
Snow fell in Bakers Mills on Sunday morning. The thermometer registered eighteen degrees below zero four days later at Sanford Kenyon's store in Kenyontown, Thurman.
Workmen are engaged in digging and blasting for the cellar of the store to be erected in the spring by T.P. Braley and Dr. D.L. Rogers, just north of the Baptist Church in Bolton Landing and fronting on the river road.
Edith Swan has commenced her spring term of school at Darrowsville near Chestertown. Martin Hill of Riverbank has the measles and Frank Smith's two little daughters are having whooping cough.
Lenitt May Barber, of South Johnsburgh, died Feb. 27, 1911 of pneumonia. She was eight months old.
Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Everts, of Lake George, formerly of Thurman, on Feb. 28, 1911 brought the body of their infant child, three weeks old, to Warrensburgh for burial.
Nig, a little black pug dog owned by Scott Ross on River Street, Warrensburgh died at the ripe old age of 16 years.
Old Dan, a horse driven by his owner, Mary Davis for 12 years before surrendering up his life, is gone. He was one of the handsomest horses in Warrensburgh.