The sweet smell of spring
Spring has come, sure, pop! Ten inmates of the Warren County home, who spent the winter there, left for parts unknown as soon as the warm weather arrived.
Three inches of snow fell Friday, April 8, 1909, but it was soon gone. Halley's Comet can now be seen before sunrise. (Note...the most famous of all comets, it was named for Edmund Halley. Last seen in 1986, it will return in 2062.)
Buicks collide, tempers flare
Two Buick automobiles had quite a thrilling collision at French Mountain on Sunday afternoon, April 24, 1910. The smaller machine, driven by its owner, George W. Dickinson of Warrensburgh, was run into by a large Buick owned and operated by a Mr. Spratt, of Saratoga Springs.
The Dickinsons and their daughter, Mrs. Henry Bertrand, were coming home from Glens Falls at a 15-mile-per-hour clip. As they approached the Halfway House the Spratt auto had just caught its first speed as it came out from a string of machines lined up on the north side of the hotel. But instead of making a short turn down the road, Mr. Spratt was carelessly engaged in handling his levers and ran diagonally across the highway and dashed into the local auto which Mr. Dickinson had driven to the farther side of the road.
The collision of the machines was inevitable. Mrs. Bertrand, in the excitement, struck her chest against the machine and suffered a slight nervous shock. She was brought home by Bertram E. Murray who just chanced to be at the Halfway House with his auto. Mr. and Mrs. Dickinson came up to Warrensburgh on the trolley. As the steering gear of their machine had been sprung and the mud guards smashed, the car was sent to Glens Falls for repairs. The steering knuckle of the Saratoga machine was also sprung, but was fixed on the spot and Mr. Spratt drove homeward.
(Note: The famous old Halfway House, run for many years by proprietor George Brown, was on the west side of route 9 in today's Million Dollar Half Mile, directly facing the entrance to the Fort Ann road. There is a shoe store located there now. The Warren County fairgrounds stood just south of it until 1869 when the fairgrounds were relocated.
Mrs. Henry Bertrand was a college-educated pharmacist who lived on Elm St. Her husband, Henry Bertrand and her father, George Dickinson ran the local drug store here for many years. The first time I met "Duke" Bertrand, many years ago, he kissed my hand, old world style. He was a gallant gentleman.)
Murder trials and suicides
The trial of George Hoogbone, of Saratoga, accused of murdering Irving Smith of that village last December, 1909, was begun in the court house at Ballston on April 11, 1910. A plea of self-defense will be made by Hoogbone although this may be changed to a plea of insanity.
In another matter, Mrs. Sarah Palmer, 58, of Fort Ann, committed suicide on Monday, April 11, 1910 by drowning herself in a well in the town of Kingsbury where she had been employed by A.K. Cross Jr., as a domestic. The woman has acted in an unusual manner recently and it is surmised that she was insane. One son, William Palmer survives.
Lake George centennial approaching
The town of Caldwell and the Presbyterian Church of Lake George are making elaborate arrangements for the joint centennial celebration to be held at Lake George this summer. The celebration will be on a gigantic scale to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of the Town of Caldwell and the First Presbyterian Church and will be observed in a manner fitting to the success that both have enjoyed in their century of their existence.
A varied program is planned for mid-August 1910, which will include water and land sports, with a field day.
The changing times
The old homestead residence of Lewis Thomson, corner of Main and Second streets, is being moved by W.F. Woodward on to a lot on Thomson Ave., Warrensburgh.
(Note: Ben Emerson, his wife, Polly and their son, Albert, 8, came from New Hampshire in 1837 to Warrensburgh. They had a home and store on the lawn of what is now the Cornerstone Victorian bed and breakfast on the corner of Main and Second streets. Lewis Thomson and his family later lived in the house until his big new mansion, in later years called the Rice Guest House, was completed in 1906. In 1910 Thomson had both buildings moved to a new street on the back of his property which he named Pearl St. after his daughter. He later changed the name to Thomson St. in honor of Lewis Thomson Rice, his grandson who died in 1983.
The Ben Emerson store is today on the corner and was once the home of the late Pat Bisbee. The Emerson home is two houses north and was once the home of the late Ken Sprague.)
A note of wisdom
If every individual in Warrensburgh cleans up his own premises and respects his neighbor's rights, avoiding all ill feeling, this will vastly improve the appearance of our streets and yards. With a little effort on the part of each one, Warrensburgh will become a garden spot.
(Note...I have always believed that good neighbors are more valuable than gold and to have good neighbors, you must be one yourself. Neighbors will come to your aid in case of hardship - not the government - and your neighbors and fellow townspeople are the ones who deserve your love and respect which will be returned to you tenfold.)
Masonic temple plans to build
W.E. Lawrence, a Glens Falls architect was in Warrensburgh, April 27, 1910, looking over the proposed new quarters of Warrensburgh Lodge F. and A.M. in the Woodward block. The new rooms will be handsomely appointed and modernly equipped. (Note...this brick building was destroyed by arson several years ago. A beautiful new building today stands in its place.)
Deaths in the news
Clark Baker, 68, a former resident of Warrensburgh, died April 24, 1910 in Gansevoort of a complication of diseases. He leaves a widow and four sons, Willis, Charles, Cassius and Bertie Baker. He was buried in Warrensburgh.
Andrew D. Tripp, 69, died Sunday, April 24, 1910 at his home in Darrowsville. He is survived by a widow, a daughter, Mrs. Robert Fox and a son, Berton Tripp, all of Darrowsville. He was buried in the Darrowsville Cemetery, the Rev. S.C. Fox officiating.
The census count began April 15, 1910. Cleaning house is the order of the day nowadays.
The log drive with Jack Donahue in charge is camping at Blue Ledge, North River. Herbert and Fred Rounds of North Thurman to work April 11, 1910 on the river drive.
Laurence Pratt is building a new house in Warrensburgh on the lot he purchased last fall (1909) from Harry Petteys on Horicon Ave. C.H. Harris has moved into Melvin Kenyon's house in Stony Creek.
Lewis Smith and Miss Mary Branch, both of Warrensburgh, were married Monday, April 25, 1910, by the Rev. E.M. Parrott at the rectory of St. James' Church, Lake George.
A son, Theron N. Drake, was born to Mr. and Mrs. William Drake at the Wayside Inn, North Creek.
William H. Kettenbach is in New York City purchasing spring goods for his store in Chestertown. Rice & Weller Brothers run a meat cart from Riverbank to Warrensburgh on Tuesday of each week. Herbert Stanley of Riparius lost a valuable cow.
In Warrensburgh Warren Bennett has bought Frank E. White's meat market in Lewisville (part of River St.) Ray Rooney is setting up new telephone poles between Warrensburgh village and the Warren County Home.
It is feared some evil-minded person has been putting out poison for dogs. Master Arthur Perry of Stony Creek had to part with his nice little black Teddy dog. We know of no reason why the boy should have been the victim of some heartless wretch.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210