Almshouse needs upgrade
Every almshouse should consist of a group of cottages, each with its own garden, its own lawn and its own home-like atmosphere. No one should be admitted to an almshouse but the respectable and deserving poor, but after they are admitted they should be treated like human beings. Unfortunately in today's society, this is not the case.
Housed in the state's almshouses for the poor are the epileptic, the feeble-minded, the vagrant, the blind, the crippled, the insane, inebriates, and people with tuberculosis. It is widely felt that to keep these people together is scandalous and they should be segregated according to their various classes. To confine advanced cases of tuberculosis with other patients is intolerable. They should be cared for in hospitals and not in almshouses.
(Note...There was an "almshouse," or "Warren County poor farm," on the west bank of the Schroon River in Warrensburgh since 1826. The stone building was built in 1860 by Peter Bewel. The residents of the county home worked the county farm to help pay for their own upkeep. The barns on the farm, part of the county home complex, are now incorporated in the Warren County Fairgrounds. The county home stone building was converted decades ago into private apartments.)
Husband drowns as family watches
James Robbins, 45, formerly of Hague, drowned Sunday afternoon, July 17, 1910, at Charcoal Bend, on the Poultney River in Vermont, in full view of his wife and two children.
He was bathing at the time of the accident with William Marnes of West Haven, Vt. Robbins, who could not swim, ventured too far out in the river where the sandy beach suddenly dropped off into deep water. He called to Marnes that he was drowning and Marnes swam to his rescue, but in the struggle that followed, Robbins was swept away.
Besides his family mentioned, he is survived by his mother who lives in Horicon and five siblings.
Man disappears in the ocean
Frank G. Taft, 34, a carpenter's mate on the steamship Alliance, U.S.N., son of Frank M. Taft, the photographer of Glens Falls, was drowned, July 11, 1910, off Culebra, Puerto Rico. Taft and another marine were returning in a sailboat from Vieques Island, when the boat capsized. The two men clung to a plank but after 14 hours of drifting about, Taft became exhausted and sank out of sight. His companion reached land after floating on the plank for 24 hours.
Might lose a hand for second time
Charles Mulligan of Corinth, sustained a serious injury Sunday July 31, 1910, while walking through the parlor of his home. He slipped on a rug and he fell, striking a broken cuspidor. An artery of his left hand was cut and he was taken in Dr. Allen's automobile to the Saratoga Hospital.
It is feared that it will be necessary to amputate the hand. Mulligan lost his right hand several years ago.
Death in the news
Carrie Knowlton of Stony Creek is a guest of Mr. and Mrs. Martin L. Messinger of Warrensburgh. She is the widow of F.L. Knowlton who recently died from the effect of injuries suffered in an automobile accident.
Mr. and Mrs. William Turner, of South Dakota, formerly of Blue Mountain Lake, announce the death of their two-year-old son, William, who died July 29, 1910.
Mrs. Arthur Coon, 19, formerly Miss Ruey Sherman, of Riverside, died Sunday, July 24, 1910. She is survived by her husband and a little daughter, only a few weeks old. She was the daughter of Fred Sherman.
William Etson Hitchcock, 57, died June 31, 1910, of cancer of the stomach, at his home in Bakers Mills. He is survived by a widow and one son, Urban Hitchcock and three daughters, Eliza Hull, Bessie Robbins and Ina Hitchcock.
Mrs. Oscar Perry, 73, who passed away many years of her life in Warrensburgh, died July 30, 1910, at her home in Newfane, Vt., where she had lived for several years. She was the daughter of Solomon Hayes and was born in the town of Queensbury, April 11, 1837. She is survived by her husband, two sons and two daughters.
Lake George news
A survey has been conducted of the motorboats and small steam yachts and it is found that over 500 such craft ply the waters of Lake George.Fully 100 small boats have been launched there this summer.
A plot of ground around the grave of Colonel Williams, a short distance south of Lake George, has been bought by Justin Kellogg of Troy, who is a graduate of Williams College. He purchased the land to preserve the grave for the alumni of the college.
Lake George mansion gets facelift
Henry E.H. Brereton of New York City and Hill View (Diamond Point) has razed the Brereton homestead on the Bolton Road and in its stead is to erect a summer home which is to be one of the finest residences of the Bolton Road colony.
The house, to be built of stone and stucco, will be about 100 feet in length and the width will vary from 40 to 60 feet. One of the features of the interior will be a large pipe organ. The house should be ready for occupancy next summer.
(Note: Four months later, in November 1910, Henry E.H. Brereton was elected to the Assembly as representative from Warren County.)
Local boy makes good
Richard Whitby of Glens Falls, formerly of Warrensburgh, who is at present engaged with Edonardes' 60-piece band at Woodside Park, Philadelphia, has made a decided hit in that city as a trombone soloist. Mr. Whitby has accepted a position at the Murray Hill Theatre to commence in August 1910 in New York City.
(Note: For many years, Dick Whitby worked at the Warrensburgh Shirt Factory.)
Home team scores
The Maplewoods of Warrensburgh played a star game Saturday July 30, 1910, on the fairgrounds (behind Ashe's Hotel), defeating the Mohawks of Glens Falls, 5 to 1. The visitors were powerless before Stewart Farrar, who was in the box for the locals. Next Saturday afternoon the Maplewoods will play the Electrics of South Glens Falls.
While excavating for the new state road at Luzerne recently, an old sword and shield, in an excellent state of preservation, were unearthed. The relics were engraved with a French name and a date of the middle 18th century.
In July 1910, Landlord and Mrs. Ashe have had their hands full at the Agricultural Hotel (now Ashe's ) in Warrensburgh. The hotel and cottage annex are overflowing on the busiest month of the year.
(Note: James H. Ashe came from Thurman and bought the hotel in 1888. His son, Henry "Hank" Ashe ran it after that for many years. Hank married Kate Ahearn in 1891.)
George J. Bump of Glens Falls and Miss Leota Duell of Warrensburgh, were married July 30, 1910, by the Rev. L.T. Cole at the Methodist Episcopal parsonage in Chestertown.
Readers are welcome to contact Adirondack Journal correspondent Jean Hadden at email@example.com or 623-2210